Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I figured if Arthur Clarke can do it, then I can do it, too, with a lot of incidental goofiness.

2001: A Space Cowboy Odyssey

The premise is that in 2001, the Discovery was launched toward Jupiter, but for some reason, the crew was lost and the Discovery is now decaying in orbit. The four men who made up Team Apollo, headed by Frank Corbin (the systems guidance designer) have blackmailed the National Council on Astronautics to allow Frank's original team that was replaced by bone-weilding orangutans at the last moment, to go up, and fix the orbit decay.

There's only two problems: these guys are OLD. Three out of four of them shook hands with Neal Armstrong. They haven't the faintest idea what an Itanium processor is. Further, the corporate weasel Bob Gershen has made a deal with young astronauts Poole and Bowman to go along for the ride and secretly reactivate the HAL 9000 unit, which is always bad news.

Along the voyage, Frank Corbin discovers a monolith that looks a lot like a Coke vending machine, and the rest of Team Apollo nap a lot.

Hawk: "Hoooey, Frank. That is one mean-ass vending machine. First one to get a Coke out of it wins".
    Frank: "Don't be stupid, Hawk; we don't know what it is. I think we should send Jerry down in a pod to investigate. Besides, he won't be scared. Without his glasses on, he can't see for shit."
    Hawk:"I'm absolutely, 100% absolutely, behind you Frank, absolutely. Think we oughta contact the NCA on this EVA?"
    Frank: "You getting sentile on me, Hawk? Remember when we directed that payload assist module through the Holland tunnel?"

Meanwhile, trouble ensues when HAL needs to be partially shut down because Team Apollo cannot type on a keypad to a processor as fast as HAL's.
    HAL:"What are you doing, Tank? I really think I deserve an answer."
    TANK: "Shut up before I accidentally spill this can of Ensure down your console."
    HAL: "Shutting up, Tank."

---to be continued

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on October 06, 2001 at 10:35.]

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on October 06, 2001 at 10:36.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Space_Odyssey_Cowboys.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	3140  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

I figured if Arthur Clarke can do it, then I can do it, too, with a lot of incidental goofiness.

2001: A Space Cowboy Odyssey

The premise is that in 2001, the Discovery was launched toward Jupiter, but for some reason, the crew was lost and the Discovery is now decaying in orbit. The four men who made up Team Apollo, headed by Frank Corbin (the systems guidance designer) have blackmailed the National Council on Astronautics to allow Frank's original team that was replaced by bone-weilding orangutans at the last moment, to go up, and fix the orbit decay.

There's only two problems: these guys are OLD. Three out of four of them shook hands with Neal Armstrong. They haven't the faintest idea what an Itanium processor is. Further, the corporate weasel Bob Gershen has made a deal with young astronauts Poole and Bowman to go along for the ride and secretly reactivate the HAL 9000 unit, which is always bad news.

Along the voyage, Frank Corbin discovers a monolith that looks a lot like a Coke vending machine, and the rest of Team Apollo nap a lot.

Hawk: "Hoooey, Frank. That is one mean-ass vending machine. First one to get a Coke out of it wins".
    Frank: "Don't be stupid, Hawk; we don't know what it is. I think we should send Jerry down in a pod to investigate. Besides, he won't be scared. Without his glasses on, he can't see for shit."
    Hawk:"I'm absolutely, 100% absolutely, behind you Frank, absolutely. Think we oughta contact the NCA on this EVA?"
    Frank: "You getting sentile on me, Hawk? Remember when we directed that payload assist module through the Holland tunnel?"

Meanwhile, trouble ensues when HAL needs to be partially shut down because Team Apollo cannot type on a keypad to a processor as fast as HAL's.
    HAL:"What are you doing, Tank? I really think I deserve an answer."
    TANK: "Shut up before I accidentally spill this can of Ensure down your console."
    HAL: "Shutting up, Tank."

---to be continued

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on October 06, 2001 at 10:35.]

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on October 06, 2001 at 10:36.]
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

LOL!

Except for my shameless ripoff of the actors, the poster was 100% trueSpace (thr Discovery and pod) and Flaming Pear Lunar Cel.

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Hahahaa... that a pretty good story there Gary. And nice work on the space modules too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I saw that movie a short while ago... enjoyed it i did. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]