Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi
    I have tried using coreldraw12 to create Icons around the 20x20 pixel size.
    I have had a number of trials with varying success.
    firstly if I set the rulers etc size to Pixels and create a 20x20 square and then simply export(selected square) to png. The convert to bitmap window now says its only 6 x6 @96%. With "maintain aspect ratio" on and setting width to 100% the sizes remains at 6.

So I draw larger than life and when I export I reduce down to 20x20 pixels. This has problems too. Firstly I noticed that lines dont reduce properly even with "scale with image ticked" it seems once you start getting down to 20 odd pixels Corel drops its lunch.
    I could be doing something wrong of course.

So are their special tricks when creating small images?
    IP

Do it in a bitmap program???
    IP

If you're truely creating a 20 X 20 pix image. The export dialogue should show it as such (if selected only is enabled).

Just try typing 20 X 20 in the H & W boxes of the export dialogue, that should work.

Sark
    IP

A 20 by 20 pixel graphic might end up looking horrific when exporting from Draw, due to the anti-aliasing on that small file size.

As Grafixman suggested, your best bet is probably to use a bitmap program. If you only need it for 20 by 20 graphics, I'm sure there are a lot of freeware software out there that will do the trick.
    IP

ok thanks ill keep playing..
    I cant just use a bitmap or Icon app because alot of the imagery is for other uses(and thus is made at normal sizeing. I was hoping I could simply shrink the vector down to a 20x20 and get a reasonable looking icon without adding it to the work load. However it seems that icon (or small pix) are a world to there own and need to be made specific.
    So thats why i tried the simple 20x20 square and noticed even that wouldnt export properly.
    IP

OK, here's an idea. Setup your rulers in pixels, do your drawing and fit it in a 20 x 20 pixel square. Apply powerclip and place it inside the square. Then export the square as a bitmap and see if it works.
    Another idea is to view your document actual size. If the rulers are set to pixels and your drawing is reduced to 20x20, it should be 20x20 pixels on your screen. Then hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard, then open your favorite bitmap app and paste the screengrab in there. Then crop the image.
    IP

many thanks I tried them and they all came out pretty much the same.
    I think the anti alias is the key. with it on its a litle too smooth and somewhat blurry or undefined. With it off its too hard and the outer lines take over the picture.
    IP