Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

hey thanx for the notes re construction renaud... cool stuff for sure... I hope your having fun... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

How are your personal experiences with the combination Rhino and Cinema 4D? Is Rhino as a modeller really as good as they say it is and do you experience any problems while exporting to Cinema 4D?
    The reason why I'm asking that is because I have Cinema 4D but I'm still wondering if I should buy Rhino; seems to me a very interesting modeller, but I would like to hear your personal experience and how it compares to modelling in Cinema 4D.
    IP

Yes, i'm having so much fun with my fav' softwares (XX, PI, C4D, Rhino) i'm in a hurry on a PHP project for a client of mine... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Grrr... f@#!^in' catching software, let me go now, pleeeese [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    IP

Hey Gauss, what are you looking to model... as in buildings or auto's or scifi, or what?
    IP

Gaussian, Rhino is realy great. Maybe you would download it to give it a try. NURBS modeling require a sort of abstraction but is in fine easy and natural... and it's very precise, giving you a lot of freedom.

You should know that it does'nt have "dynamic geometry", ie you can't work as with NURBS generator in C4D with wich you can modify the underlayind splines to change the generated object... that was confusing me, but in fact Rhino offer a great power and freedom with its way of doing thing.

But now the answer to your question : export for C4D is not the best thing. For exporting, Rhino need to build mesh. You have control on how it's done, and how many polys you'll get, but in many case you'll get high poly meshs, it's important to know that. Precision in object need lot of polys.

Rhino do not export to C4D, but it do to 3DS, Lightwave or Wavefront Obj. The best way to get back the most information in C4D is 3DS, but then all poly are triangles... it's not a big issue since object from Rhino would not have to be used in an HyperNURBS generator.
    You can simplify the mesh in C4D (do "optimize" on each part), but be carefull specialy with the "convert to rectangles" as often it gives error in the geometry.

Also be aware to check the normal in Rhino, as it has un important role when it comes to boolean operation and exporting. But Rhino have a great command to check an change normals.

Realy, even with the few issues with exporting for C4D i'm VERY hapy with Rhino.

WIP Rhino/C4D :
    http://www.essentiel.net/demo/foreignimg/wip_a1.jpg

One the first object i made with Rhino :
    http://www.essentiel.net/demo/foreignimg/valise.gif

[This message was edited by Renaud on September 25, 2002 at 01:19.]
    IP

I agree...Rhino is a solid app

and so is PhotoImpact 8... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by gidgit on September 25, 2002 at 05:46.]
    IP

I agree gidgit, PI8 is more than a solid app !
    PI7 was my main bitmap editing sofware for a long time, and very few features were missing for my use. The main one was the ability to make selection inside objects, and now it's possible !

A large proportion of existings features have been enhanced, and important new ones have been added... PI continue to get beter and beter with each new release, and still is at a bargain price.
    IP

Thanks Renaud for your interesting post [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I think I'll give it a try.

Gidgit, I'm trying to model everything that comes up in my mind, natural objects, human made objects, abstract objects etc. I do like to focus on one program though, hence the reason why I didn't try Rhino (yet). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Well... PI 8 is ready for purchase on the ULead website. My own is in the pipes... 9 Mo here, stil 38 Mo on the other side...

The upgrade cost USD 44.95, for a 46.7 Mo file... less than $1 the Mo... bytes becomes very afordables those days ;-)
    IP

I agree Gauss... one app at a time... probablly the reason why I am still such a rookie at the 3D thing... I have spent most of my extra creative time in Photo Impact...

Wasn't so long ago that someone had advised me to go with another 2D grafx app... mainly because of industry preasures... to which, honestly, I tried... and soon found myself back in PhotoImpact...lol

Then came the interview with the group I now work with... pretty casual affair...until I mentioned the app I was diligent in using... almost cost me the position... but... I convinced them to download PI ( v7 at the time )and let me show them just why it is that I am so keen on this app... ( picture if you will, five computer geeks standing around one desk with mouths wide open )haha...I gave them a quick half hour demo they would not soon forget... It was agreed from that point on that I could use what ever I wished so long as the timelines were met... I now work from home, contracting with said group, and I make a very comfortable living doing so... I owe it all to having stuck with PI... which has taken several years to learn thus far and, I still have quite the ways to go... ( I am truly such a rookie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

So, yea Gauss, I agree with sticking and learning one app first... and ya know what? In someways C4D is very much like PI in that though it is not considered the premier app by the industry it is certainly poised to become such... and in the right hands either of these two apps will rock as well as any out there... cool [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Keep at er Gauss, and all the best to ya ... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP