Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This isn't really a technical question but I was curious of what I need to do in order to use copywritten photographs in my Flash movies? Does anyone know how to find out who I need to contact in order to obtain permission to use copywritten photographs?

I have always done my own graphics in the past but the project I'm working on right now (Mysterious Reality) requires the use of some copywritten material. I have to admit, I'm at a loss here so any insight will be much apreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
    IP

This isn't really a technical question but I was curious of what I need to do in order to use copywritten photographs in my Flash movies? Does anyone know how to find out who I need to contact in order to obtain permission to use copywritten photographs?

I have always done my own graphics in the past but the project I'm working on right now (Mysterious Reality) requires the use of some copywritten material. I have to admit, I'm at a loss here so any insight will be much apreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
    IP

First, contact the owner of the copyright. Usually you can contact companies via their PR departments. A caveat, though - sometimes people are very anal when it comes to their copyrights. Take LucasArts, for example - they have tons of stuff that people want to put on their fan pages, but they rarely (at best) give permission to do so. The upshot being that they rarely take action for people swiping images. Still, it's been known to happen.

If you can't find the owner of the copyright, contact whoever is hosting the image - chances are they'd be able to direct you to the owner.

Also, remember that the person who took the picture, or created the image, is not necessarily the same as the person who owns the copyright. Even if the creator or photographer gives you permission, you may not have legal rights to use the image.

It's a tricky game, but not too bad when it comes down to it. Oh, one last thing. Some places/people will ask for a fee to use the image. Be prepared to haggle in some cases, but usually they're pretty firm with the price.

Just so ya know. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Good luck with the copyright!

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    <font face="arial" size="2">
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    Interactive Developer
    http://www.bluespark.com
    </font>
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

Something just occured to me after dealing with some people or firms concerning the copywritten photographs that I wanted to use.

You have to forgive me, I am a newbie when it comes to copy rights and such. I have material that is copywritten but I (honestly) have never understood what all establishes a copy right. I was wondering, if I have graphics or photographs on a web site that I have done (graphics and all). Can someone come behind me and copy right my images if they are not already copy written?

If it's not already copy written, is it "up for grabs"? I find it hard to believe that that could happen but after dealing with certain people, I wouldn't doubt it. Deep, you were right about saying that "most of these copy right holders stand firm with their prices". As a matter of fact, I found a lot of them to be some what arrogant about it.

I have been mostly involved with developing homepages, home business', and small business'so copy rights have not been that big of a concern for me. But now I have been given the opportunity to develope some rather "big business" material and I'm really concerned about this copy right business.

All I can say is "I'm glad I did protect the material on the bigger sites I've done"

Thanks for anyone who can help me understand this.

Scott
    IP