Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I hate clipart

I was working at a dot com last year (now bust!). They picked one or two stock photos of people for key adverts and promos. But then the same faces started appearing in other company's adverts. Big embarassment/annoyance.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I don't know whether I count cos I'm a brit living in Britain but my favourite British made comedy has to be Red Dwarf.

I beleive there's a film coming out soon, starring all the original cast... can't wait (but I'm *really* looking forward to the release of The Lord of the Rings [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] )

Michael Ward
    http://LeighCenturions.net

I'm probably showing my advanced age, but anyone remember the British show "On the Buses" back in the late 60s or early 70s? It was too funny.

Bryan

"I 'ate you butler!!!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"I 'ate you butler!!!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eric, heh heh, I was going to specify that line in my post but couldn't decide how to "spell" it. I seem to remember it as

"Ah 'ate you But'lah'!!"

Or

"Would'dya' lac a bit 'a cake Olive?"

at the dinner table. Heee heee.

Later,
    B

Benny Hill... The Avengers... Coronation St... but my 2 favs are/were:

Red Dwarf &... DR. WHO !!! hahahaaa wooooweee! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

OH USA - Home to Cedar Point (Roller Coster King)

First on the subject of clipart... I have to agree that most of the stuff that's came free with ANYthing I've bought has been drek. A few of the 'collections' I've bought were good enough that I've used them to dress up simple DTP projects like newsletters done on the cheap. (Newsletter for user group comes to mind!) More often, I take a bit of clipart from one thing, and combine with a bit of clipart from another or substitute my own 'tweaking' for those kind of projects. (Example, last Christmas ran a humor article on Bill Gates as Santa Claus in 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.' Found a fairly simple B&W clipart of Santa with some reindeer and substituted some mice for those.)

Been using Xara to do those kinds of tasks for the past 6 years! Makes pulling those things apart and putting them together to achieve what you want FAST!!!

For projects where I'm getting paid, I don't like to rely on clipart. For a number of years, I've kept a few sample 'menus' in my briefcase for whenever I ran into that situation. (Nothing like showing them the difference on the spot!) Has lead to some jobs here & there, but not a whole lot.

Someone else mentioned Hemera's Photo Objects, which is FABULOUS! I would not class that in the same ballpark as ordinary 'clipart.'

Last, on to British TV. Shows that I REALLY enjoyed were the Avengers, Monty Phython & Dr. Who. (Gee, what does that combination have to say about my psychic!) My kids are now hooked on Who's Line is it Anyway (both the American - Drew Carey version, and the British one when they can catch it on Comedy Central - cable TV network here in the states), and Junkyard Wars.

Speaking of which, can someone tell me what 'bodging' something up means? I think that's how you spell it.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Push yourself to notice the extraordinary in the ordinary.

Irene M. Kraus
    www.design-comp.com
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet

means to cobble something together ... to make a poor effort of a task.... a temp. fix
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host