Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have a CD-ROM with a number of Corel Draw grahic files on it.

It was sent to a friend from one of his distributors and contains pictures of
    the products he sells.

I have XARA-X installed on my computer, but when I try to open any of the files
    I get an error message....

"This file may not be suitable for this filter - are you sure you wish to open this file?"

When I click the OPEN button I then get...

"Not a CorelDRAW CDR file !"

I opened one of the files with an editor and it shows me that the file format is
    Corel Draw version 8.

Do I need Corel Draw 8 to open the files ?

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance.

Dave Porter
    IP

I have a CD-ROM with a number of Corel Draw grahic files on it.

It was sent to a friend from one of his distributors and contains pictures of
    the products he sells.

I have XARA-X installed on my computer, but when I try to open any of the files
    I get an error message....

"This file may not be suitable for this filter - are you sure you wish to open this file?"

When I click the OPEN button I then get...

"Not a CorelDRAW CDR file !"

I opened one of the files with an editor and it shows me that the file format is
    Corel Draw version 8.

Do I need Corel Draw 8 to open the files ?

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance.

Dave Porter
    IP

Dave

I use Xara X as well as Draw. The filter with Xara X appears to work reasonably well with Draw V5 files and CMX files but does not work well or at all on later versions of the Draw format.

There are problems with importing paragraph text into XaraX from Draw and also things like custom fountain fills with more than two colours get reduced to just two colours.

If possible try and get the Draw 8 files exported to CMX format as this will stand the best chance of importing into Xara X.

Also you might still be able to get a copy of CorelDRAW Classic, this contains just CorelDRAW V8 (not PhotoPaint). We use this at work in our mechanical design department, it only cost 50 UKP and to my mind was an absolute bargain.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help.

I have learned a lot about this stuff from yours and others feedback and really appreciate everone's input.

I' trying to get hold of a copy of CD8 on monday, so I will let you know how I go.

Kind Regards, Dave
    IP