Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hong,
    I have just looked at the website of your friend Doodle. He is a very fine artist and I am sure he will be able to give you lots of help as well. I found his 'bride' portrait very interesting in terms of the inspiration for the piece. When I look at this picture it almost begs to have words to explain what has happened (like part of a story). I suspect this is an illustration for a book perhaps.

I do not often get the chance to see work from artists in non-English speaking countries, so thank you for sharing this with us.

David
    IP

Hello

And for Hong
    Chom pap gap shumy da

please forgive my spelling of this Hong my Korean
    is very limited [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

the simple way for me to tell you to find your depth of field and the amount of detail to use is as follows.

one block you picture out with reference fileds
    for the forground and background.

creat a layor trace your forground refernce field here.

creat a second layor and trace your background fielf here.

now split your layors and save them to separate
    pictures.

you can now work on each and build your background to where it looks good to you.
    then merge it with your forground picture

and you have a compleated work that is in porportion [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    hope this helps

Vel
    IP

Hong! welcome to the forum!

(by the way, get doodle to come back I remember his work was beautiful.... I miss hearing from him)

I have to say, my initial thoughts mirrored those of Monastic Bat and Stecyk66. I didn't see anything particularly wrong with what you had on your site. And truthfully, I still don't. I like the work you have on your site [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . (and stecyk's description of gestural... fits)

But I'm not the one who needs to be happy with your work -- you are. So let me see if I can say anything interesting about the topic.

Here are links to some of your works that I think have the right idea as far as backgrounds go. .I would not change anything on these images.

Hong's morning image
    Hong's Sigol
    Hong's portrait 1

now here is my question is this one of the images where you are dissatisfied with your background?
    Hong, is this one of the one's that has a background that bothers you?

You see, when I looked at that image, I thought... "this is so pretty and impressionistic. I don't want to see more detail in the background. .. more detail would marr the impressionistic style of this image". Hong, this is one person's opinion... mine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ok so here is my theory on one of many ways to create a background:

Sometimes, the "subject" and the "background" contrast each other in level of detail and brightness of color. At least that seems like part of the truth.

So I look at that picture above and since it is a beautiful, impressionistic image of a smiling youth I ask myself, if I'm trying to create a background and give it less detail....well we can't get much less detailed than you have it ( having the subject be detailed and the background be less detailed is one of many tricks to creating a suitable background).

Or maybe you could darken the background colors. ... even that solution doesn't seem to fit. . . I like the image the way it is... to add more detail or change the colors would change the style of your image. .. and it is your style that I find so enchanting, Hong.

But in future images, I really like Vellen's suggestion of blocking you image. (this goes back to one of my other favorite topics... composition which is always a good way to discipline your image.

You may have fun looking at this thread from way back in this forum's history... don't know if it will help

It started as a posting from BR and grew and grew [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . .. in truth, there is nothing specifically addressing backgrounds in that thread but there were some thought provoking ideas about art termsin that thread.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I hope I didn't muddy the colors....

have fun, Hong, and thank you for posting =)

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

your advise take me a good lesson.
    thanks

hong
    IP