Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: CD9/WP9 merge

I am using Windows98SE, CD9/WP9, lots of processor/memory. Trying to do a text merge into a CD graphic... I've followed all the instructions for building both the text file and the graphic file. I've tried each of the 3 save as options in WP9 for an ANSI .txt file and get this error on each one when I try to access the text file: Wrong file format or could not open. I've closed the file in WP even closed WP but no luck

Following is an excerpt from the Help file for merge building the text file
    6. Save the file as an ANSI text file (.TXT extension.)

(c) 1992 - 1999 Corel Corporation. All rights reserved.

I created the file according to the instructions from the help menu also. I have also included print/merge on the File menu by using the tools/options instructions in the help file.

Any suggestions? Has anyone done this. I have to create table place cards several times a year and the job(s) usually consist of 60-200 names and it's really a bear doing each name in the Draw pgm. thought the merge would help.

Thank you for even getting through this whole topic.
    IP

I am using Windows98SE, CD9/WP9, lots of processor/memory. Trying to do a text merge into a CD graphic... I've followed all the instructions for building both the text file and the graphic file. I've tried each of the 3 save as options in WP9 for an ANSI .txt file and get this error on each one when I try to access the text file: Wrong file format or could not open. I've closed the file in WP even closed WP but no luck

Following is an excerpt from the Help file for merge building the text file
    6. Save the file as an ANSI text file (.TXT extension.)

(c) 1992 - 1999 Corel Corporation. All rights reserved.

I created the file according to the instructions from the help menu also. I have also included print/merge on the File menu by using the tools/options instructions in the help file.

Any suggestions? Has anyone done this. I have to create table place cards several times a year and the job(s) usually consist of 60-200 names and it's really a bear doing each name in the Draw pgm. thought the merge would help.

Thank you for even getting through this whole topic.
    IP

I guess no one is interested or knows how to solve my problem. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever even tried this option. Well, moderator, I guess you can 'can' this topic. hahahaha

Inphoenix
    IP

Pat

Sorry for the delay in answering, I've been very busy recently.

Can you post a small section of the text file to this board, or email me a sample (profile email address is valid). I'll see if I can spot where the problem is.

The important part of the file is the first few lines that define the fields in use (which are also defined in the drawing) followed by the data to be inserted, one data line for each of the fields in order.

Ansi text should work, but I have used Notepad in the past to create my merge files.

There is a bug in Draw 9, if you are testing the output using the print dialogue with the preview window open on the right of it. But this occurs after the file has been imported, it sounds like there is an error in the format of the TXT file.

Have you looked at the text file in Notepad to see if it roughly matches the example in the help file?

There may be a setting in WP9 that is including extra bits.

Addition

It is not clear from my draw help files, but the artistic text in the drawing should not be encapsulated by \'s, it should match exactly (case, spacing) the first lines in the text file that are between the \'s

HTH

Peter

The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

[This message was edited by Peter Clifton on April 24, 2002 at 07:28.]
    IP

Oops

Sorry Marie, don't know why I typed Pat (actually I do but it is far too embarrassing to say)

Peter

IP

Open your WP text file in Windows Note Pad. Fix it ther and save it.
    IP

Pat, Peter, Michael, hahahaha Peter... going to try your suggestions. And will be back with results. I just spent two days typing in over 300 names for 2 jobs. What a bummer. Wish I had had these suggestions earlier... I'm not complaining... Ijust need to check back more often. Thanks both of you (all three of you, hahahaha)

\title\name\table\
    \Ms.\Alisa Amsterdam\Table 1\
    \Ms.\Rachel Amsterdam\Table 1\
    \Ms..\Alexandra Campbell\Table 1\

this was opened in notepad and copied to this post

I realized I left out the 1st parameter a 3 so I put it in on a separate line and still get the same error msg.

\title\name\table\
    \Ms.\Alisa Amsterdam\Table 1\
    \Ms.\Rachel Amsterdam\Table 1\
    \Ms..\Alexandra Campbell\Table 1\

Marie

[This message was edited by inphoenix on April 25, 2002 at 08:08.]

[This message was edited by inphoenix on April 25, 2002 at 08:09.]

[This message was edited by inphoenix on April 25, 2002 at 08:10.]
    IP

Marie

This is what the text file should look like

\title\\name\\table\
    \Ms.\\Alisa Amsterdam\\Table 1\
    \Ms.\\Rachel Amsterdam\\Table 1\
    \Ms..\\Alexandra Campbell\\Table 1\

Each field needs to have a unique pair of \'s

I would use search an replace with \ to \\, but do not use replace all, go through each one individually, or

Do a replace all then record the following step

Delete the first \, jump to end of line and delete the last \, cursor down, jump to beginning of line. Stop recording

Play back the macro until all lines have been edited.

HTH

Peter

IP

Wow, Peter, I'll have to look at those help instructions again. I don't think I would have caught that. I haven't tried it yet but will do soon. Thank you so much.

Marie
    IP

I keep getting 'wrong file format or could not open'. I close the file from wordperfect after saving it into ANSI text format. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    IP