Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello everyone,
    I have photo 5 and I'm trying to create a scroll. I have figured out how to do torn edges and curled page. I just can't get rid of the white background. I want to be able to put it on a webpage so that you see the scroll and the page's background. I've made the scroll from scratch. Also when I tried to put text on it,it didn't want to cooperate. Please help, Thanks Craig
    IP

Hello everyone,
    I have photo 5 and I'm trying to create a scroll. I have figured out how to do torn edges and curled page. I just can't get rid of the white background. I want to be able to put it on a webpage so that you see the scroll and the page's background. I've made the scroll from scratch. Also when I tried to put text on it,it didn't want to cooperate. Please help, Thanks Craig
    IP

Hi Craig,

Ok first off, you'll need to save your scroll as a GIF or a PNG. I'm going to go over this just in case you're not familiar with these graphics file formats, ok?

GIF images are exported out of PS 5 using the "Gif89a" plugin, found under the FILE menu, and then within the EXPORT menu.

Gif images can only contain a maximum of 256 colours; which for your type of image should be enough to maintain a decent level of quality.

PNG images can contain 256 colours AND 24bit (which is photo quality), and also allows transparency within the image; via an 'alpha channel', not unlike the kind you create in Photoshop. However, not all browsers yet support the PNG file format, so Gif is still the safest format to use when needing transparency within an image destined for a Web page.

Craig, to save time & space here, i'm going to point you to my site, and a tutorial i've written already that will explain 2 ways of saving images with transparency, using the "GIF89a" export plugin... ok? Here's a link to that tutorial: Transparency For The Web. This is a 2 part tutorial too Craig; at the end of part 1 isa link to part 2. So you'll be learning all you need to know to create image transparency for any occassion. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And on top of all the info in that tutorial Craig, here's something else you might be able to try... i say MIGHT here because i can't remember for sure if this feature is contained in PS5, or whether it was added at PS5.5.
    Look under the HELP menu. See if you have an option called "Export Transparent Image...". If you do, click on that option and take a look at the dialog windows that follow. This option/function explains itself. It's like a "Wizard" that walks you through the process as it asks you questions about your image. It's pretty cool actually! I hope PS5 has it.

Let me know if you're unclear on anything here.

PS: hey Craig, say HI! to my parents if you see them will ya?! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] They have a home in Mesa they retreat to for the winter months. They're down there right now. hehee Thanks!
    IP