Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crosshatches

Anyone know if the final version of xarax x will have crosshatches, with selectable line and backgound colors, to use as both object interior fill and line fill? Also how about interior fills of various colorful patterns and shapes? Most programs have them and the are handy to have.

Anyone know if the final version of xarax x will have crosshatches, with selectable line and backgound colors, to use as both object interior fill and line fill? Also how about interior fills of various colorful patterns and shapes? Most programs have them and the are handy to have.

Hello,

one solution is playing with linear transparency, repeating and profiles to create two layers of parallel lines hatching; then you may even cross them and play independently on each layer !!!

ivan

There's a new feature in Xara X which may come in handy for this. It's called ClipView and actually is similar to masks in Illustrator. I've tried it and came with the following
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cl1.gif 
Views:	634 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	15214  

I've had a play with a new brush; just a single line set at 90 degrees, set left, closely spaced with randomised length. You can then draw at the edge of a shape for a sketched effect.

I'm sure people can make a prettier use than the example.[img]null[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hatch.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	17344  
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

The CD version will include a set of fills with various hatching designs such as lines and checkerboard. All the designs are black-and-white. As they are bitmaps, you will be able to load them in, recolor them and then save a new bitmap.

Yes, the new ClipView is a great feature! Still, it would have been good to have a brute fill-with-your-own-vector-pattern function.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Yes Klaus,

I agree. It seems this would be the next natural step for Xara X to take, have it in the Fill menu options right above the Bitmap fill choice. Also allow tiling and skewing of the vector fill via the property bar.

The attached plug-in offers a temporary solution to the hatching problem.

Create a suitably sized dummy fill bitmap (my chosen method is to use Plug-ins > Bitmap Effects > Resize on the default bitmap in the Bitmap Gallery, which also converts it to 24-bit) and apply the Hatcher plug-in. Choose a size that is a whole multiple of the line spacing you want so that it will tile correctly (a good general purpose size is 60 x 60, which is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30 & 60).

Set the horizontal and vertical spacing on the sliders, using 0 if you want no lines in that direction. AFAIK there's no way to contone a bitmap fill, so you can set the line colour on three sliders.

Tip: to create 45° hatching, rotate the filled shape through 45° while holding down the "-" key, then rotate it back normally.

Comments and suggestions are welcome

Regards - Sean

[This message was edited by Sean Sedwards on December 08, 2000 at 11:24 AM.]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards - Sean

I just remembered that you contone a bitmap fill by dropping colours on the fill handles. With the default line colour black however, there's no harm in leaving the option available in the plug-in.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean