Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am having major problems getting my sliced images to look decent. I am using one of the templates (#21) on the PSP v7 disc, but every time I slice the image, it comes out all dithered (splotchy). I have tried reducing the colors, optimizing image before slicing it, optimizing it as part of the slicing procedure but It just keeps coming out looking like crap. If someone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciat it.
    IP

I am having major problems getting my sliced images to look decent. I am using one of the templates (#21) on the PSP v7 disc, but every time I slice the image, it comes out all dithered (splotchy). I have tried reducing the colors, optimizing image before slicing it, optimizing it as part of the slicing procedure but It just keeps coming out looking like crap. If someone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciat it.
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

Hi Arni! Welcome to the forum!

I have never used one of the templates on the CD for slicing ...and since I am in Korea and my cd in in the States..I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Slicing itself is relatively easy...so maybe dump the idea of using the template and create your own.

Go to File
    Choose Export
    Choose Image Slicer

Decide which format you want jpg, gif, or png...I usually use png as you get clearer images. Click the optimize button and either use the Wizard or manually set the settings on each of the tabs.

Now you can start slicing! Use the hand tool to move the graphic in the window to the position you want then choose the knife from the tool options.

Drag the knife either horizontally or vertically depending on the type of cut you want. You can use the eraser to erase lines if you get them in the wrong position....and the arrow tool will allow you to reposition the line.

When done.... choose Save settings. That will save a template of your cuts and the optimization. Then choose Save AS.... and give the file a name and tell it where to place it on your hard drive. The resulting file will have the html code and the images.

Note: I seldom use gif when slicing...as the degradation of the images seems to be greater than when saving as a regular gif. Am not sure why this is... perhaps someone else will have some input on that.

Hope that helps!

Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    IP

You are the best. Your directions made me realize a mistake I was making. I was using the slice settings of one of my first attempts, which was not optimized well. So every time I brought the graphic in, I was imposing the previous optimization settings, which actually only applied to one cell because I originally did not check off apply oprimization to entire image. I also tried using the PNG format; much better. What are the disadvantages to using the PNG format for web graphics?
    IP

though PNG is great for those gradient elements, some older browsers don't support the format... I really don't know how many people are using the older browsers these days but it is something to consider...

have a good one eh... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

Altho older browsers don't recognize png's, all the new ones do. Png's are becoming more widely used, especially with the Unisys controversy over gif's

Unisys owns the copyright on gif's...and they want anyone who creates a gif to buy a license from them in order to use gif's on their site.

Uh-huh....sure!

Personally, I feel that if someone with an older browser wants to see my site....they can update their browser and join the rest of the internet world. In this day and age it's ridiculous to use outdated browsers.

Just my 2 cents....

Joelle

Joelle

IP