Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yeah that's a nice building. I think the current owner did quite a bit of work on it as she likes fixing up old buildings (and well it might have needed some work). The interior is nice and has an interesting metal ( thin copper? ) ceiling painted white with much detail (don't know the facts or words to describe it .... Ross might know better being in architecture).

David King
    www.dkingdesign.com

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

David - I haven't been in the building for quite a while. I do remember it as being relatively original, which is exceedingly rare for Victorian-era commercial buildings. Annapolis Royal is very rich in architectural heritage and I encourage everyone, if they ever get the opportunity, to visit and enjoy its appealing small town character. The only place I've been with similar (although very different) qualities is
    Telluride, Colorado. Annapolis Royal is more "pure" because it hasn't had all the recent development of places like Telluride.

Oh! The ceiling is likely copper or tin. The thin sheets were pressed into molds and sold through catalogs. They were very popular in the victorian era. They are still sold today by Steptoe & Wife (great company name eh?). I believe they use original molds. I once did a architectural design project that used 15,000 pounds of cast iron from Steptoe & Wife. The quality of the castings was perfect. I'm sure their tin ceilings are good too.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on April 18, 2001 at 06:29 PM.]

superb
    no less

Thanks Eric! When I started colourizing the sketch this is the kind of effect I had in mind. I'm still undecided about if I should add more colour to the above sketch or not. I like it with limited colour - maybe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] I'd like it even more fully rendered??

Regards, Ross

Wow, I almost spelled color your way (colour)!
    ANYway, Ross, I think it looks really good the way you have it, it gives it a kind of artistic feel. But it really depends on the look you were going for. I'm sure it would look good the other way also, but there's only one way to find out! Experiment with it, there's really no harm you can do! Just keep the original and start over and compare, I'd be eager to see it. Post the results if you decide to change it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Of course in "English" the correct spelling is with the "u".

American spelling is slowly creeping into Canada. Colour is one word that many Canadians (the stupid ones [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) spell either way and often get away with it. We sure as hell don't get away with "nite" instead of night (or "lite" instead of light). Many younger Canadians now think the last letter in the alphabet is "zee" when in English it has always been "zed". The influence of American television, with shows like Sesame Street, has subverted our English language. Perhaps in another thousand years we Canadians will all be Americans.

I'm not trying to be beligerent here. I find our language differences pleasant and amusing.

Regards, Ross

And together we can rule the world!! Just imagine it, one continent, on country, one view, and one heck of a lot of power! we can spell "color" colouor and pronounce Z as zeeeed... Wow, it's too late, someone shut me up!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

I figure one less letter to type is one less chance to make a mispelling :-D. Anyway I think the english language (British, American ,Canadian, Australian ...whatever) is in need of a great big overhaul. Get rid of those silly useless letters in words which just are a pain and take longer to type (thought, bought, why the "ugh" ....why!!! ... "ugh!" is just what I say about their inclusion in these words [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]). So in the spirit of bettering the english language I will now rewrite this paragraph using the "King's (ahem ...that's me) english" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I figyer wun les leter tu typ iz wun les chans tu mayk ay mispeling :-D.

Ah the heck with it ... you get the point :-) Just having fun!

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

PS ... Ross ... When's the last time you came home after a hard day at work and relaxed in your "E-Zed Boy" recliner with a beer. I rest my case ... hehe ... just kidding [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

for what it's worth i would stop right here...its easy to 'overproduce' these things
    my favourite adage is "LESS IS MORE"
    scouse eric
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Thanks Eric. One of my favorite quotes is:

"The past is past. That explains why it is past."

Perhaps that has nothing to do with this thread but then again, maybe it does. Think about it until it hurts and then stop.

Regards, Ross