Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Just found this graphics program. - I hadn't heard of it before. It sounds really good and is only US$80!

I haven't tried the demo yet but here's what the site says about it:
    "Idruna Software's Photogenics is an exciting new graphics package for PocketPC, Windows, and Linux. It allows you to create stunning images, either from scratch or by modifying existing pictures. It can be used for everything from simple file conversion, to advanced photo manipulation and re-touching. It also offers extremely realistic and easy to use media such as pencils, chalk and watercolours, which allow you to create stunning masterpieces in minutes.

Photogenics is based on innovation. At its core, it works on images unlike any other product. Nothing you draw is permanent, everything can be rubbed out as easily as it was drawn, and tweaked to perfection. This freedom allows you to experiment to a level never before seen.Unparalleled levels of creativity from being able to modify the colour, transparency, image processing mode, and even the position of what you have drawn, all in real time!"

But wait! This company is HOT!:
    They have just launched Photogenics HDR which is "first graphics package capable of working with images in 32 bits per channel floating point format, otherwise known as High Dynamic Range, or simply HDR."
    The site's info on it doesn't say how much it will cost and don't yet offer a demo. I'd expect the site to be updated any day now since the software was launched at Siggraph 2002 this week. Check it out!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Just found this graphics program. - I hadn't heard of it before. It sounds really good and is only US$80!

I haven't tried the demo yet but here's what the site says about it:
    "Idruna Software's Photogenics is an exciting new graphics package for PocketPC, Windows, and Linux. It allows you to create stunning images, either from scratch or by modifying existing pictures. It can be used for everything from simple file conversion, to advanced photo manipulation and re-touching. It also offers extremely realistic and easy to use media such as pencils, chalk and watercolours, which allow you to create stunning masterpieces in minutes.

Photogenics is based on innovation. At its core, it works on images unlike any other product. Nothing you draw is permanent, everything can be rubbed out as easily as it was drawn, and tweaked to perfection. This freedom allows you to experiment to a level never before seen.Unparalleled levels of creativity from being able to modify the colour, transparency, image processing mode, and even the position of what you have drawn, all in real time!"

But wait! This company is HOT!:
    They have just launched Photogenics HDR which is "first graphics package capable of working with images in 32 bits per channel floating point format, otherwise known as High Dynamic Range, or simply HDR."
    The site's info on it doesn't say how much it will cost and don't yet offer a demo. I'd expect the site to be updated any day now since the software was launched at Siggraph 2002 this week. Check it out!

Regards, Ross

detailed info on Photogenics 5.0 can be found here. (It was somewhat hidden behind a easy-to-miss little "more info" button).

Regards, Ross

Ross, old bud, I'm way ahead of you - as usual! ;-) I have tried the demo of Photogenics 5, and will most likely be reviewing the new HDR version on my www.graphics.com column - though I haven't seen that version yet. There is no demo of the HDR yet, but it's coming very soon. Photogenics 5 is an odd little thing, I have not tried it much, but there are some interesting possibilities with it. Even large brushes are VERY fast. Most amazingly: the download is a mere 1.5Mb - and the full install is less than 3Mb!!! This is densely packed code! It originated on the Amiga, which might explain the code efficiency?

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

[klausquote]I'm way ahead of you - as usual![/klausquote]

Remember it's the person on the front of the motorcycle who gets all the bugs in their mouth! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I had posted here hoping someone had tried it. No dissappointment on my part if I'm not the first. I see they've suspended the demo downloads as they update for the web release of Photogenics HDR next week.

I'm not a photoshop/paintshop pro user. Does it seem to you (Klaus or others) that Photogenics 5.0 might be a good general-purpose bitmap tool for someone like me? I like the price! - and it sounds better than other lowcost bitmap tools I've seen.

Regards, Ross

Ross, I'll chance the bugs as the price of the fast ride. :-)

I don't know yet if it could be a low-cost image editor. I will let you know when I get the high-end version. But I strongly advise you to check out Picture Publisher 10, which - for $100 or so - is a hell of a good image editor, outdoing Photoshop in some respects, altough not replacing it.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

... and foud it really efficient on my old PII 400, but less featured than my usual bitmap editor : photoimpact.
    You can download a trial at ulead website, and i really LOVE this soft. PP seam to be very good too, but i work with PI for years so... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ross ... if you try the picture publisher 10 demo and your internet explorer ceases to work correctly ( opening new windows is busted ), let me know ...there's a patch hidden on their site (so nice of them to inform you before downloading it too). I'm not bashing PP10 as it seemed really good but I had that issue on two computers and figured it out only on a google thread search after many hours of searching for things that might have messed up my internet explorer (although I'm an opera fan I still wante IE to work right)

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

"but less featured than my usual bitmap editor : photoimpact"

I too use photoimpact as my main bitmap/photo editor as well as website slicing/export as html.

I will download "Photogenics" once they get the windows download up ... being the graphics app demo junkie that I am [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ( hmmm this affliction is what got me into trouble with the picture pub10 demo ...arg! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] )

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

I don't know.

I might give it a try too. But, the Picture Publisher demo made me a little weary of trying new image-editors. But, I'll try the patch and try the software again.

My main image application is Photoshop 7.0 and 6.0. PhotoImpact 7.0 is second. Nothing and I mean NOTHING beats Photoshop!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'll try this new software too and see what it can do.

RJ Swift