Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terragen

Yes, thanks for explaining that Steve.

minimiro ...
    "theKeeper" is just an alias i've used since '96, which is for my Photoshop Website. But when i became a moderator for the Photoshop forum here, i also used it then as well. And that's why it shows up as my name when i post (to ANY of the forums here).
    Sorry if that confused you a bit. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve...
    You're correct about the 2 'minor' limitations in Terragen, if not registered. But, i don't think that includes 'volumetric' lighting effects. If "i'm" not mistaken, that effect is built into Terragen's natural (default) rendering abilities... no?

And that's a great looking example image you gave the link to Steve. I love the ombience of the whole image. The creator has obviously gone through the "ShoreLine" tutorial written for Terragen (which requires using a plugin to import an image created with a separate graphics program).

Thanks also for the kind words on the site Steve.
    When i posted that fountain image in the XaraX forum, i did go through how i created it (but i don't think anyone was listening - Doh!). It's VERY simple really. That specific thread may still be accessable, but i don't recall the name of it (something about "water fountain" i think).
    All i did though was the same thing i'd do in Photoshop for that effect - just used a bmp texture of water (multiple copies) each set to a specific Transparency mode - to reveal only the highlights in the water. There is one "base" copy of the water texture there to give the underlying colour/texture.
    To create the 'busy' look of the water, i just nudged the copies around a bit. And to produce the streams of water, i resized a few of the copies down horizontally, then moved them into position..
    Then the splashes at the water's base were created also with copies of the base texture, but scaled down proportionally, and moved into position where the water fall meets the pool.

PS: here's a link to the XaraX thread i first posted that image to - http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...=315199669&p=2

Let me know if this isn't clear enough. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mark...

[This message was edited by theKeeper on April 28, 2001 at 12:29 PM.]

that's a very informative thread there, Lots of interesting techinuqes! I think I understand what you did, but not sure if I'd be able to recreate it!
    About the volumetric lighting, it does have it in certain cases. When there's mist/fog in the air and light is shining through, say, mountain cracks you can see the difference of light and dark in the air. But the feature that I don't think is possible yet in this version is sun-beams, which I can't waite for! Anyway, thanks for your help
    ttyl, bye
    ~Stev

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-