Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terragen

I would like to post some renderings I did in a program that is often overlooked by 3D artists. For those of you that havn't heard of it, it's called terragen. Although not a TRUE 3d setup in which you can place objects like Bryce, it's a heightfield program which has the possibilities to create strikingly real 3D lanscapes. I am convinced it is the best out there. These are some images I created, although the rendering process is long, it's worth it. Go and take a look at it if you know what's good for you. You can download the program for *FREE* right herePlanetside
    Enjoy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dark.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	281.3 KB 
ID:	13799  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

A Canyon

Steve Newport

Name:	Canyon.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	6542  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Misty morning

Steve Newport

Name:	morning.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	19570  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Hi Steve,

I really like the shapes of your mountains Steve. They came out very well. I especially like the mountains in the first image.

I guess you came into this board a tad later than the rest of us huh? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Just wanted to say that i've brought Terragen to everyone's attention awhile back in some earlier threads. I find that Terragen renders much faster than any other 3D app i have. Even considering that "volumetric" effects are rendered almost by default in Terragen. I'm running a PIII 650 w/256 meg of Ram. And when i render i usually make the image 640x480 with the "Atmosphere" setting one below full, and the "Clouds" setting at full. All of the images in my gallery took no more than 7 minutes max to render.

I also mention Terragen on my Photoshop site, on the index page. I think more folks need to know about it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Here's the url to my gallery if you'd like to see some other Terragen renderings: http://gurus.onlinedesignschool.com/...-gallery.shtml

Take care,
    Mark...

Steve,

Nice renderings, I especially like the canyon.
    Thanks for sharing!

I tried out terragen a while ago (as I also heard about this FREE software), but isn't there some "restrictions" with the free version. Something about smoothing and max pixel size? Or do I remember wrong?

-Paul
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

keeper randy paul
    The Keeper:

Yea, I remember seeing terragen mentioned earlier on, but didn't see any renderings made by it. If so, then, oh well, it's still nice to promote this great program! And I am very envious of you! 7 MINUTES!?! Mine takes literally anywhere from 2-5hours! But considering I only have 32mb/RAM [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ... that would explain it! But my Dad has 200 & some RAM and his still takes quite a while, must be the computer!ugh

Randy:

Thanks for the compliment, these are my favorite also, but believe me, I have plenty of bad ones!

Paul:

Have you tried Terragen though? The only major option you get when you register is the ability to Super-Antianilizing (Very Good Example) , ability to have terrains larger than 512x512, and, correct me if I'm wrong, volumetric lighting!? Anyway, both ways have very impressing results.
    ttyl, by

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

By the way Mark, I love your site!! Amazing use of each program! I especially love your Xara Fountain!!! The water looks tooo real! You MUST post a tutorial on how to creat that effect in the XaraGallery Forum! Great job [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Hwo is Mark [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] ?
    In all topic didn't seen name like this... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

"TheKeepers" name is Mark. If you go to his site you'll see that he sometimes signs his work Mark Larmand. Sorry to confuse!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-