Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trying very hard to get Boat Club Handbook off to printers, and knocking up a couple of ads myself to save us some money (we take ads to pay for the printing, not the other way round).

This view of Glencoe traced from photo with Shape Editor tool, unwanted points discarded to keep lines simple, converted to crayon brush with a mixture of 2 and 3 point lines and Slim Blip and Cigar 2 shapes. Of course I could have drawn it myself by hand, but I wanted to keep it all within the computer...

Final size of ad to be half an A6 page. The crayon brush effect barely shows in my PNG (the printed resolution should be much higher), but does it look OK otherwise?

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daveforum.png 
Views:	478 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	11055  

Trying very hard to get Boat Club Handbook off to printers, and knocking up a couple of ads myself to save us some money (we take ads to pay for the printing, not the other way round).

This view of Glencoe traced from photo with Shape Editor tool, unwanted points discarded to keep lines simple, converted to crayon brush with a mixture of 2 and 3 point lines and Slim Blip and Cigar 2 shapes. Of course I could have drawn it myself by hand, but I wanted to keep it all within the computer...

Final size of ad to be half an A6 page. The crayon brush effect barely shows in my PNG (the printed resolution should be much higher), but does it look OK otherwise?

Peter</p>

... what are you still doing out of bed? Isn't it like 3 AM over there?

How about a "grabber" of some sort? I mean an object that stands out, brings your focus to something?

A tree or two? A mountaineer or two?

It's not clear to me what the bottom object is (the one touching the line). If the line is more than a divider (like water or ground) perhaps you can use it to add that "something".

Or you can just totally ignore my silly opinions and go to bed [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Perhaps some of the pros out there have give you some intelligent advice by the morning [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>what are you still doing out of bed? Isn't it like 3 AM over there?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not for a few minutes yet!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's not clear to me what the bottom object is (the one touching the line). If the line is more than a divider (like water or ground) perhaps you can use it to add that "something".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean the sea or the Ballachulish Bridge? I'm interested, because it's so obvious to me...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Or you can just totally ignore my silly opinions and go to bed Perhaps some of the pros out there have give you some intelligent advice by the morning<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your opinions are valued, Risto, but I'm not sure about this bed thing (I'm on holiday, by the way). And I'd love to hear from one or two of the pros, although it's emphatically not a piece of work that I can spare much more time for...

Peter</p>

There is that little something, a bridge. I just couldn't see that it was a bridge... maybe it is just me?

If I would have been able to pick out the bridge it would have worked for me!

Risto

Perhaps this might help - from Ballachulish Bay, looking towards Loch Leven and the Glencoe Hills. The Pass of Glencoe (scene of the infamous 1692 massacre) is in the dip in the centre.

Perhaps I should extend the ends of the bridge a little (plenty more photos to work from) to stop it looking quite so disembodied? I'd thought of leaving it out altogether, but everyone round here would question that! Main purpose of the graphic is really just to break up the text a bit and make it more interesting, although it's very appropriate to Dave's wording.

BTW, the time I can start getting some sleep like everyone else will be when I've got the Boat Club business out of the way and know I can spend the second week of my holiday fitting out the boat (sigh...)!

Peter</p>

PS Bridge is much clearer on original photo and high resolution scan. It's not something you can normally miss, even in the dark (it's lit).

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 05, 2001 at 07:46 PM.]

Name:	dave.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	10727  

Peter.
    Just a opinion.. how about giving it some depth
    Egg

Name:	glencoe.png 
Views:	449 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	19772  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for the idea, Egg...

Might have a go, although I'd want to pull the text down off the shaded bit. Still not totally happy with the bridge, but can't see leaving it out's an option (unless I junk the whole picture)! But is everyone reasonably happy with most of the lines/brush strokes?

Peter</p>

Peter
    I think the problem with the bridge may be the line below it. (I did recognise it as a bridge tho) Thry removing the coast line below it.
    Here's another attemp. It's just the bitmap below with a flat contrast 0% applied.
    Now I am going to bed!
    Goodnight
    Egg

Name:	glencoe2.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	9036  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Name:	glencoe3.png 
Views:	404 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	16082  
    Egg