Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I'm trying to create a graphic with "hotspots" in Flash but I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is.

The image is a US map and I want the states (or regions) to be "hot" rollovers. Since the shapes are irregular, when grouped into 1 symbol, the edges overlap. For instance, if I select Texas and make it into its own symbol and give it rollover effects, the symbol's edges (since it makes the symbol into a rectangle instead of the shape of Texas) overlap Oklahoma, etc. This will be a problem when I need to make Oklahoma hot because the two areas will overlap.

Am I making sense? Any thoughts?

Thanks much.

Bryce
    IP

Just create the Hit state of your button as being the exact shape of the symbol (just select the symbol in the Hit state, and use the Ungroup command). But doing this, only items in the Hit state are "hot" as you so describe it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

<pre><font face="courier" size="2">,-----------------------------.

| Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math |

| Graphic/Multimedia Designer |

| ICQ#: 39102360 |

| Medius Communications, Inc. |

| http://www.medius.com |

`-----------------------------'</font></pre>
    Moderator - i/us Flash Forum
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

I'm still learning your explanation, but from what I've been able to do so far, that seems to be the answer.

Thanks again Deep!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

Yes, that's it exactly. Deep's got it. If worse comes to worse, create a new layer in there somewhere and throw a copy of the exact shape or symbol with an alpha setting of '0'. This way you can tint or whatever, the other button states.
    IP

You dont need to use an alpha state for the button. Just place the image/shape you want in the "hit" state of the button. This is called an "invisible button" you will see a transparent blue color that will represent the button shape but when it is live it will not be visible to the eye. This is what deep was talking about. Using an alpha state even in a button (depending on how large it is) can effect the play back of your animation. Regards, Bill

Macromeidians 1:1

In the begining the web was dark and void, and the net was with out color or shape, Then there was a Flash and Life came to the web and vision became reality.

In the begining the web was dark and void, and the net was with out color or shape, Then there was a Flash and Life came to the web and vision became reality.
    IP

Guess that shuts me up. : )
    IP

Didn't mean to stomp on your post [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

IP

Pffft !! Hey, no problem Bill. "I-US was looking for a few good "moderators" ... unfortunately, "I ain't it" (Clint Eastwood / Heartbreak Ridge).

I tend to get carried away with things sometimes. Misdirected enthusiasm. I only wish I could sit down next to an expert on Flash and just watch him/her for a week or so. It would save me on aspirin.
    Take care, Wayne
    IP