Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Multiple Intros

I haven't been here for some time. Trouble with domains being transferred, enuf' said. But I have a web site that I'm working on (www.mysteriousreality.com)Mysterious Reality.com and I would like to offer multiple Intros. Right now, there is one intro but what I want to do is have the Flash movie (level_0) detect and load the appropriate intro based on what the "Viewer" has seen or not seen.

Can this be done with cookies? If the viewer has been there before and seen intro#1, I want it to detect that and play intro#2. If the "Viewer" has seen all of them, then I want it to be random.

Let me know if there is a better way to go about doing this or if you have an answer. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Scott (Stinger)

[This message was edited by Deep (just a guy) on August 08, 2001 at 13:27.]
    IP

I haven't been here for some time. Trouble with domains being transferred, enuf' said. But I have a web site that I'm working on (www.mysteriousreality.com)Mysterious Reality.com and I would like to offer multiple Intros. Right now, there is one intro but what I want to do is have the Flash movie (level_0) detect and load the appropriate intro based on what the "Viewer" has seen or not seen.

Can this be done with cookies? If the viewer has been there before and seen intro#1, I want it to detect that and play intro#2. If the "Viewer" has seen all of them, then I want it to be random.

Let me know if there is a better way to go about doing this or if you have an answer. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Scott (Stinger)

[This message was edited by Deep (just a guy) on August 08, 2001 at 13:27.]
    IP

This topic should say "Multiple Intros" instead of "Multiple Preloaders". Can you use your administrative rights to correct this?

My mistake. Sorry...
    IP

Done! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

BTW, to do this using cookies is possible. Basically, use JavaScript to set the cookie and at certain points in the movie, get the JavaScript to update the value of the variable in the cookie. Cookies are very simple, so it shouldn't be too bad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Basically, set a cookie with variable=[scene_number] - you can do this using FS Commands (the better way) or using a GetURL action (javascript:setCookie('myMovieNum')

Anyway, I'll leave you to figure out how to do it, but rest assured, it's a relatively simple thing to do. If you get stuck, let us know, and we'll be sure to drop you a line and help put you on the right track!

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    <font face="arial" size="2">
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    Interactive Developer
    http://www.bluespark.com
    </font>
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

If you are using Dreamweaver there is an easy way to fix this. Download
    JavaScript Integration Kit for Macromedia Flash 5
    from the exchange. There is a behavior in the Kit called "go to frame based on cookie" or something like that.
    Or you can code manually if you prefer.

Either way it should work with cookies.

Alex.
    http://www.linecraft.com
    IP

I don't understand any of the discussion in this thread, but the page is wonderful. I want to see more.

Sharon P.
    www.fischerpassmoredesign.com
    IP

Thanks Deep for the information you gave me. I will definately look into this info. And to Ajuly for the Dreamweaver tips. Ironically, the site is being done with Dreamweaver UltraDev so this might be a possibility. I'll check it out and keep you posted on "how and if" this is what I'm looking for.

mom_de_bomb - Thanks for your interest. The site will be available (hopefully as scheduled) on the 8/20/2001. I hope everyone likes it. The owner surely does too.

Thanks to everyone. I got a lot of useful info from this posting.

Scott
    IP

An extra special THANKS to the Moderator, Deep. Thanks for correcting my $@&# ups.

Thanks Deep,

Scott
    IP

I just had a though (usually dangerous). Would there be any reason why I shouldn't set this intro up to have a "blank" movie load into the page that randomly loads the *intro.swf? I wouldn't get the funtion of having a viewer see every intro "in order" but I would stand a reasonable chance to have them see a different intro every time.

I did the banners on this site like this (on pages not yet available over the internet) but it never ocurred to me to do the intro this way.

Would there be any reason why I shouldn't do it that way? The Javascript "Go To Frame" would cause me to increase the size of a single .swf but I would rather have single swf's load seperately.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. It was all very helpful.

Scott
    IP

I have compiled 3 intros that play at random. It seems to work just fine. Of coarse, I did lose my ability to control "what intro a person see's until every intro has been viewed" but I think this is a reasonable work around.

One bad peice of news though. Since this intro thing has and will take more time to develop, the deadline for this site (Mysterious Reality)will be pushed back at least another week. Now, the target date is 8/27/2001.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Scott
    IP