Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I wonder if someone can tell me if there is a maximum number of fonts I can install under win2000, like there was under win95/98 where I found it necessary to limit the fonts to 120 or so to avoid brain damage in computer.

NT4 didnt seem to mind a boggling 600 fonts installed.. (alright so call me an animal..)

Believing always in ever onwards I figure win2000 would be happy with even more fonts installed ..or am I dreaming?

Q
    http://www.Qdesign.co.nz
    IP

I wonder if someone can tell me if there is a maximum number of fonts I can install under win2000, like there was under win95/98 where I found it necessary to limit the fonts to 120 or so to avoid brain damage in computer.

NT4 didnt seem to mind a boggling 600 fonts installed.. (alright so call me an animal..)

Believing always in ever onwards I figure win2000 would be happy with even more fonts installed ..or am I dreaming?

Q
    http://www.Qdesign.co.nz
    IP

Quentin

The general concensus over in the Corel newsgroups is that, there is no practical limit to the number of fonts that can be installed in Windows 2000/XP

However nearly all the regulars there recommend some form of font management as even though the operating system can take it there is no guarantee that an application is not going to croak trying to display a drop down list of thousands of fonts.

The limit in Win9X/ME was down to only having a 64K block of memory in the registry (maximum data block size allowed) to store all the resident fonts and path names, this limit is not present in a groundup 32 Bit OS like Windows NT/2000 and I sincerely hope Windows XP

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

thanks for that info Peter; I probably wouldnt have more than 300 at a time and its reassuring to know I can leave the font fiddling win9x days behind me..

Quentin
    IP