Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Look at this, I just took a photo of my local XaraX splittie as it came past my house. Wow! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

--
    Big Frank was
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Wow Frank! That's great! I hope the folks at Xara see it and see the value in the idea.

What would a Splitie like Nadia cost? Your image is probably all that is needed to get a quote on the wrap job. I assume there are places in the UK that do such printing/wrap jobs. Note that the quality of finished job I've seen on buses here in Nova Scotia is nowhere near as good as a nice airbrush job - but then they are meant to be seen from a distance and the artwork would be xara-art.

From the Daisycam I see old Daisy is in sad need of a paintjob. Any chance she could be treated to a loving wrap? That might be a simplier idea: Xara pay the relatively modest cost for your graphic design to be applied to the old girl and you show Daisy off. Good for you to show off your talent, good for Xara for the promotional value, and good for Daisy - the vinyl would help preserve her! I can well imagine your Daisy could be the talk-of-the-town in Chelmsford. I'd bet she'd probably get featured in the media - all of which could help Xara.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Frank, is there anything you can't do?

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Ross: Yep, Daisy is in sad need of a serious paintjob [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ! The patches you can see all over her on the DaisyCam are the areas where she's been rubbed down and primed ready for a new paint scheme, but I haven't decided what colours and what theme, but your XaraX idea sounds pretty cool. I'd love to tart her up as a XaraX advert! I have been quoted about UKP3000 for a complete back-to-metal bodywork restoration which in corporate advertising terms is really small potatoes so, if Xara want to make an approach, I'd be happy to talk to them. As well as using Daisy as my daily driver (my clients love it!) I'm going away touring in France in late june so this would be an excellent opportunity for Xara to get their name known out there as well! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

One thing though... if this pie-in-the-sky idea were to become reality I would have to re-do my 'Woman on Sunset' image as it will reproduce well enough as a 600 x 445 JPG, but as a 6ft x 4ft vinyl advert plastered all over the side of the bus, it needs refining and greater detail! However, I think my next project for this forum will be to draw Daisy in XCM colours (XaraX Corporate Merchandise!).

BTW, there is a company right here in Chelmsford called FastSigns which converts an image to self-adhesive vehicle transfer! I might even get a quote from them to see what it would cost. Budweiser last year raffled their Bud Splittie (c. 1960's) decorated in their corporate style and at the time it was valued at about UKP5000.

Pete: yes, there is something I can't do. I can't stay away from this flippin' computer so's I can get some sleep! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

--
    Big Frank was
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Big "talented" Frank, thanks for sharing!

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Well I hope Frank doesn't mind me saying this:

I put Frank's name into a search engine and then went surfing the results. I learned a number of interesting things about him. Indeed he seems to be an truly interesting person. What I learned that is relevant here, is that his graphic skills have improved with time. Sometimes when we see stunning work like his model or his van it is hard to imagine that we could ever do such amazing work ourselves. Seeing some of Frank's older work relative to his recent accomplishments proves to me that there is hope for the rest of us! It's not that Frank's old work was crap or anything like that, but he obviously has developed his skills. If he can do it so can we!

Let us get to work...

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

... tell me that you are a single. I'm not looking for a date, I'm just amazed at the time and energy that you put into your illustrations.

Me, I just lock the kids in the cupboard while the wife goes to Walmart, just to get a couple of minutes for myself to play with Xara.

Your last VW was so good that I lost two front teeth when my jaw hit the floor.

Risto

OK, the first VW was all my own work. The Woman on Sunset was also all my own work, but neither could have been done without XaraX's lovely intuitive interface and wonderful fast rendering capabilities. The third, XaraX Splittie, was simple and took no more than 20 minutes to complete, thanks to XaraX and a reasonably good eye for perspective.

Yes, you need talent to produce really great work, I'm in no doubt about that. You can't fake talent, but when you get a great set of tools that bring this talent to the fore, that's when your work starts to really shine! My work is good, but not great. The Mini or the Pocket Watch on the XaraX demo movies, now that is great art!

The work I have seen in these forums done with XaraX is what prompted me to start exploring the possibilities. My artistic background is in custom airbrush art, this has already been spotted by some of you. I never made more than a supplementary income from it. I shall probably also make no money from the kind of work I have done here - I do it for the sheer love of it (and I must confess some of the comments, especially from my peers, are what make it so enjoyable [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Risto: no, I'm not single. I have the support of a wonderful wife of 16 years who has always encouraged me in my art when I should have been thinking of the mortgage, and I have two smashing children, a mongrel lurcher and a mongrel Jack Russel who thinks she's a Rottweiler! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I will continue to post my work on this forum because of the encouragement I receive from its members, encouragement that should be an inspiration to all other Xartists out there to continue to develop their art in this media.

Watch this space... you ain't seen nuthin yet! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

--
    Big Frank was
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

BF

What more is there to say? You certainly nailed this one.

My only criticism is one the same one I make for most vector images of people, especially women, the features are a touch stiff and hard.

Some judicious use of feathering might soften some of here features. (but I quibble)

Beautiful image.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Big Frank, Nothing new to add, really. Just wanted to pass along my praise and admiration for the wonderful work you've done. Can't wait to see more.

joroho
    Wise men still seek Him.