Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I just purchased Macromedia Studio MX and am starting to notice there is a lot of feature overlap (Fireworks has some of the same features as Freehand, DW, etc.). I am trying to get a feel for the best way to utilize each application. Does anyone care to comment on how best to use the Studio products in concert? I am interested in knowing what the strong areas of the applications are (particularly comparing FreeHand and Fireworks). I aware of the general differences but am interested in which application to choose when a feature is present in multiple applications. Any info would be appreciated!

I just purchased Macromedia Studio MX and am starting to notice there is a lot of feature overlap (Fireworks has some of the same features as Freehand, DW, etc.). I am trying to get a feel for the best way to utilize each application. Does anyone care to comment on how best to use the Studio products in concert? I am interested in knowing what the strong areas of the applications are (particularly comparing FreeHand and Fireworks). I aware of the general differences but am interested in which application to choose when a feature is present in multiple applications. Any info would be appreciated!

You know what? This question is a really good one... and one which can be pretty much applied towards software in general

now then, back to the matters at hand here... I dunno really... don't use either of em enough (like never) to really know... but, I am totaly interested in what any other members, more experienced with these two apps, would have to say...

I would be betting on, while one, FW is a vector app leaning towards flash and web tech, the other, FH, is a vector app leaning towards illustration and design...

looking forward to viewing the reply's here...

The “feature overlap” exists so each program can stand alone in addition to being tightly integrated. As far as what app to use for each job is simply a matter of preference since you have the whole Studio. I really like how Homesite 5 is also part of the package (look through the CD files and folders if you weren’t aware of this) and integrates into the package as well. Although I usually prefer working with Xara-X over Freehand, the perspective grid feature of Freehand Kicks some serious Butt!
    There are a whole load of tutorials for each of the programs scattered all over the net, hunt them down and you’ll find features in the programs you thought weren’t there. I guess what I mean to say by that is at first glance (Fireworks for example) looks feature poor, truth is I hardly even open Photoshop any more because I can do so much in Fireworks. It also loads faster and isn’t even close to being as much as a memory hog (don’t get me wrong, I still love Photoshop!).
    Don’t know if any of this is what you were looking for, just tossing my two cents in at 2:15 am. I still think Macromedia MX Studio is the best software money can buy. I use the Crap out of mine!

Jeff

As stated in the headline I have been seriously looking at software for web building software and tried various packages in the 30 day trials. Really liked Freehand MX but this was not that suitable because of my lack of knowledge in Java Script so I then thought about using Freehand with Flash MX and this I could manage although it was a steep learning curve in flash and I was intriqued about your comments on Fireworks which I have not tried. I was just about to spend my hard earned cash on PS 7 because Image Ready takes the hassel out of this and I would be interested in any further comments as I relly liked Freehand MX's user interface.
    Design is thinking made visual.