Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm quite pleased with the glass effect I have achieved, but what is now bugging me is the grey/green at the upper left/right of both glasses. I have set my background to white so the glass should reflect this but however high I set the transparency/refraction, it still stays grey! On the earlier post it was dark gray/green when the background colour was much darker. Any clues or is this a failing of trueSpace?

Hi Keeper. Yes, the ashtray has a wooden base (modelled on one I have here) but if the ashtray body is shiny plastic and the base is wood surely they should have different reflective properties?

Anyway, I am chuffed to bits with the logos I have 'painted' onto the glass... it looks almost like my own glass (with a little change to the text)!

I'm getting there... I'm getting there
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Frank,

It's been a while since I've used trueSpace, but there should be an easy-access check box of some sort to turn off Refraction and Reflection in the Render Options. I find it's helpful to turn off one at a time, and do a test render, just to see which one is responsible for different results.

Now...what is your transparency set to? Also, what base color is your object? Is it that gray/green color?

I managed to get a free moment at work (hence this post), but not enough time to plug in the LW dongle and mess around. I'll have to wait until this evening or something. But hopefully then I can post something. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

jay, how did you do your glasses? That's exactly the effect I'm looking for to recreate some <kewl> paperweights I have. What program? Would it be possible to give us some tips?

This is great!

Ok, i get it now Frank - the base is wood. Wasn't exactly sure by the render. And you're correct of course that it's reflective properties would be different than the plastic ashtray. (it may not even HAVE any) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I forgot to mention too Frank that your decal came out real well. Very clean, nice job on that.

As for the grey matter in your glasses' edges... that's open for debate. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Could be a result of your light source's direction/intensity/colour... or the fact that the bg is white... or, the thickness &/or refraction settings of the glass itself.
    Could also, i suppose, be the way Truespace renders glass... could be more than a few things i'd have to guess.

Sorry if that doesn't help much Frank. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Here is something done in Imagine from Impulse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2Drams.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	17543  

hehe "I dream of Genie" theme there if you couldn't tell [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Nice stuff Roger, i particularily like the genie vase.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Smorg,

I'm using Cinema 4D XL. refraction index (Fresnel) set to 1.5, white color for the glass objects, transparency set to 100%, and 3 wide angle spot lights with white light, positioned front left and right and rear right. To be honest, the lightning is the trickiest part for glass effects. If you use ambient light, the refractions look bad - you need a direct light to create great reflections!

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hello Frank--

I have trueSpace 3 and 5, and my glass renderings look like crap compared to yours.

Would you mind either telling the recipe on this forum, or sending me a screen capture of the settings in trueSpace?

Actually, *both* would be in keeping with the spirit of this forum! <g>

Regards,
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    www.GaryWorld.com

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Frank

Sorry for reviving an old thread but...

I just got the collectors boxed set of Toy Story from the States and amongst all the extra's one teeny tiny thing they mentioned in passing struck me right between the eyes.

Some of the scenes in the Toy Story movies are composite, they are not rendered in one pass.

They can and do take the lighting effects from one render pass and matte them onto the second render pass.

So if you render two scenes and select the best shadows areas from each this is one way around the problem.

Who'd of thunk, not even the all powerful renderman can do everything.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

Hi Gary,

Sorry I didn't reply to you earlier, I spend loads of time in the Xara forums and only pop in here from time to time... Here's a screenshot of my 'glass' settings. It was such a protracted effort to get it right(ish)!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Who'd of thunk, not even the all powerful
    renderman can do everything <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I am quite surprised at the number of 3D galleries I visit where people mention that their work (professional standard) is the result of at least two, sometimes up to 4 different apps! One for the background, one for textures, one for modelling, another for rendering! I'm pretty pleased with truespace as it is proficient in many of the above and has plug-ins for most effects. It has severe limitations (especially as I'm using v3.1), but on the whole I feel it was a worthwhile purchase.

I also noticed a thread here about Terragen. I have an awful confession to make - I downloaded it months ago but every time I open it I take one look at the Win3.1 interface and I run screaming (opposite end of the spectrum to the Bryce interface! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). I still haven't created a single landscape with it! Is this pathetic or what? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

--
    Big Frank was
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.