Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hey Ross, I attached a picture I did long time ago for fun so I could put this on the Gallery forum, but this post was really meant as a question for you. I was looking at a your featured artist gallery(Congrats!), which is truly amazing by the way, and was just wondering what kind of drawing tablet do you use and about how much do they run for? I am wanting to go further and my mouse just isn't doing it for me anymore, and it's really limiting my art! Thanks for your time

Steve Newport
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galaxy.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	10091  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Hey Ross, I attached a picture I did long time ago for fun so I could put this on the Gallery forum, but this post was really meant as a question for you. I was looking at a your featured artist gallery(Congrats!), which is truly amazing by the way, and was just wondering what kind of drawing tablet do you use and about how much do they run for? I am wanting to go further and my mouse just isn't doing it for me anymore, and it's really limiting my art! Thanks for your time

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

What a great drawing Steve. I'll have to show it to my six year-old, he'll love it too. Any chance you can post the .xar file? - I love watching blended fractal fills rendering.

My tablet is a Wacom Intuos 6x8 /usb which I bought reconditioned from Wacom.Com. I find it very good and it looks brand new - hard to believe it was reconditioned. I now think I would have actually prefered the 4x5 size - it would be a better mouse substitute and still quite suited to sketching. A coworker has a Wacom Graphire which he says is great as a mouse replacement. He has tried my higher resolution Intuos and says it is much better for sketching.

I don't use the tablet as a full-time mouse replacement. I do use enough that I have noticed an improvement in my carpel tunnel injury.

Right now Wacom has a refurbished Intuos 4x5 (serial) for under $80 US. Mine ended up costing me $400 Canadian including shipping and taxes. Ouch! I could have bought 216 cans of fine Danish beer (my favorite with German beer a close second) for that amount of buck-a-roonies! Pitty I can't have the beer and tablet at the same time. (Actually I lie - I'm drinking a Holsten, the pride of Hamburg, as I write this. Sorry Steve about all this beer talk - I know you are too young to drink and I don't want to contribute to the delinquincy of a minor. Don't start drinking - you'll never stop! You'll end up with a beer gut. Spend your money on tablets, software, and your loved ones). Getting back on subject, you can see their prices for yourself at the Wacom website.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

haha!! Yea, I'll stick with my Mountain Dew (I'm totally addicted 2 that stuff, isn't it sad!?!?).
    Anyway, back on topic, wouldn't you want a bigger tablet for more freedom?! Excuse me, I'm very ignorant on this subject!
    I checked out that site and wow! VERY nice tablet, many features, a whole lot better than the one I WAS looking at! I'll just have to search on eBay for one, the second best site on the internet! Can't afford it straight from the store! Thanx for your help and I'll get that .XAR file when I go over to my Dad's 2morrow morning. bye

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

I have a Wacom Graphire (blueberry flavor) 4"x5" USB and it's the perfect size. I realized by looking at all of my sketches on paper that 99% of them would fit in this dimension so what's the point of a larger one. Plus I couldn't really afford the larger one anyway. I figure a larger one might be better if you ever want to trace overtop of a larger image from paper (placed under the transparent film attached to the tablet). But I find mine perfect and I wouldn't want a larger size. Mine was about 160$ (tax included) Canadian from Futureshop. I find I use it more in a bitmap-type program than a vector one like XaraX though (for things like dodge, burn ...etc.)

David King
    www.dkingdesign.com

Hey Ross, here's the .xar file you asked for. Hope your son and yourself enjoys it! Thanks for the help!
    P.S. See if you and your son can spot the message for you

[This message was edited by Steve Newport on April 19, 2001 at 09:08 PM.]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-