Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: screensize

hello,
    how do you get around the problem of people having different screen resolutions? i know there are java scripts out there that work out the persons resolution and display the right site, but i don't have the time to do 2 sites, what i've ended up doing is just doing the page really small so that anyone with bigger resolutions can still see it, is this the right way to go?
    cheers
    IP

hello,
    how do you get around the problem of people having different screen resolutions? i know there are java scripts out there that work out the persons resolution and display the right site, but i don't have the time to do 2 sites, what i've ended up doing is just doing the page really small so that anyone with bigger resolutions can still see it, is this the right way to go?
    cheers
    IP

Hi Chuck ...

If you don't want to a javascript 'sniff' then, yes, the best solution is to cater to all resolutions. (as an aside - this was the intent of HTML in the first place, "All for one and one for all." It's just those goshdarn web designers that decided otherwise! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

However, you don't have to keep it small - simply make the design "liquid" (ie. allow your design to fluctuate depending on the viewer's resolution) by using %'s in your table cells.

For further info on liquid design check out the evolt article by Rudy Limeback : http://evolt.org/article/Liquid_Tabl...321/index.html

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

Of course this is a simple solution, and there are better ones, but I already used it more than once.

Create a table with at least three columns, and give one of the center columns and the table itself a %setting. Your page will expand to the full screen. Of course there is an emty space in the centre of your page, but I personally prefer that, as it separates the different areas clearly, to a page that only occupies the left side of my screen (I am at 768x1024).

When you need to make a site that is also viewable without scrolling on a 640x480, you get really ugly lay-out on the more actual settings.

I've noticed that more and more really commercial sites begin to ignore 640x480. Wise? I wouldn't know, but understandable? Yes. People that still use these settings, and eventually an 28 modem are, as I am being told by a friend who is in e-commerce, not the "buying" customer after all, and so not their "target".

Can we go on taking into account every difficulty, every drawback, everything? Don't we condemn the "middle" (600x800, 56K modem) class to unnecessary poor quality?
    I personally target this middle class, and the smaller settings simply will have to scroll, just like the high end setting are condemned to empty spaces.
    Luckily Flash seems to offer a solution...

My five cents.
    IP

Thanks guys, such a simple thing that i overlooked that makes quite a difference.
    cheers
    IP