Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Have designed a brochure data sheet for a client using CorelXara. Unfortunately, live in a small town with only a handful of service bureaus that are primarily QuarkXpress/Illustrator/Photoshop shops. Have generated just about every file type in existence but nothing that is compatible with their prepress operations. Have tried Acrobat Distiller/PDF, but we go round-and-round reconfiguring Xara specs. Meanwhile I'm delaying my client's print schedule. Does anyone know of a: 1) service bureau that speaks Xara, or 2) a company or individual that can transform my native Xara file into a suitable print-worthy format for printing (for a $fee), or 3) any xara print experts in the Greater Washington DC area, or 4) of a detailed service bureau specification for Xara? I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what the heck I'm doing regarding professional printing.
    IP

Have designed a brochure data sheet for a client using CorelXara. Unfortunately, live in a small town with only a handful of service bureaus that are primarily QuarkXpress/Illustrator/Photoshop shops. Have generated just about every file type in existence but nothing that is compatible with their prepress operations. Have tried Acrobat Distiller/PDF, but we go round-and-round reconfiguring Xara specs. Meanwhile I'm delaying my client's print schedule. Does anyone know of a: 1) service bureau that speaks Xara, or 2) a company or individual that can transform my native Xara file into a suitable print-worthy format for printing (for a $fee), or 3) any xara print experts in the Greater Washington DC area, or 4) of a detailed service bureau specification for Xara? I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what the heck I'm doing regarding professional printing.
    IP

We have brochures printed for my company every month, at first it was difficult to get them printed right, now it has become a much easier task.
    The print bureau imports the files that we saved on a zip disk in quark Xpress (obviously on a Mac).

The simplest file format I suggest is Tiff at 300dpi, resulting colours resemble the ones that you see when "show printer colours" option is enabled.

Now I prefer xara eps format (NOT illustrator eps) with bitmaps resolution set at 300dpi.
    I advice you to follow the path I suggested in another post and disable "show printer colours" before exporting to Xara eps, because you could incur in some postscript errors.

I hope it will help you.
    Luciano

p.s. check the eps file with ghostview, before leaving it to the bureau.

p.s.bis If you send me a small part of your brochure I can send you eps file to test with your bureau.

[This message was edited by Luciano on March 14, 2001 at 11:42 AM.]
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> p.s. check the eps file with ghostview, before leaving it to the bureau. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luciano

What is ghostview and where can I find it?

(Not everybody knows what it is, you know) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...
    IP

GSview is a freeware utility which works with ghostscript.
    First you need installing Ghostscript which is an interpreter for the PostScript language and then you can install Gsview which is a sort of graphical interface, since ghostscript is based on command lines.

In view menu, set alpha-text and alpha-graphics to 4 bit/pixel.

You can find these great utilities at:
    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/
    IP

DW (?)

You may be interested in a thread I've started in the X forum about exporting CMYK TIFs.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean
    IP

Do you have a Kinko's nearby? If so, you can download their software and produce an output file directly from Xara (Distills it kind of like a PDF file) to create a file in Kinko's Document format. (*.kdf) Take it or send it directly to the Kinko's nearest you and they can process it. You can do all of this online too. I have used this with great success on small projects. I had outstanding results. I believe the file provides some kind of viewing compression, but retains 1200dpi printing information. Anyway, it has worked out well for me.!!! Hope this helps. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Randy Allen
    "Wherever you go, there you are."
    Randy Allen

Randy Allen Photography
    IP