Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

As much as I love using XaraX ...... it's just so annoying to lose stuff to these dumb errors. I had two serious errors at different times tonight. In both cases I lost some stuff I'd done. I hope the next patch fixes a few of these things!

I've used PhotoImpact for a long time making imagery and never had one error or freeze. I just wish XaraX was as dependable. Sorry , but I'm kindof annoyed and even though I try to save every 10 minutes, sometimes you're just caught up in image making and forget ......then move a slider and boom! ....... 15 minutes of work gone!

I reinstalled it last week and applied the patch. IS it something in winME that's not compatible with XaraX?

I suppose it could be my computer ...I don't know ... sigh

David K

As much as I love using XaraX ...... it's just so annoying to lose stuff to these dumb errors. I had two serious errors at different times tonight. In both cases I lost some stuff I'd done. I hope the next patch fixes a few of these things!

I've used PhotoImpact for a long time making imagery and never had one error or freeze. I just wish XaraX was as dependable. Sorry , but I'm kindof annoyed and even though I try to save every 10 minutes, sometimes you're just caught up in image making and forget ......then move a slider and boom! ....... 15 minutes of work gone!

I reinstalled it last week and applied the patch. IS it something in winME that's not compatible with XaraX?

I suppose it could be my computer ...I don't know ... sigh

David K

It happens on my set up. I'm running
    ME.

Brian.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Yup, ME is kind of unstable. The worst OS after Microsoft invented Windows.

As I posted several times before: don't blame XARA for unexpected crashes - I'm running it on a w2k pro and a NT machine - and never had any trouble with it.

Professionals should go for a professional OS, not the kids stuff.

I don't remember all possible tweaks, but before I installed w2k on my laptop, it ran Win 98 - right off the shelf. Because the resulting experience was very frustrating, I set up a site for owners of Compaq 1920 laptop, where I posted many tweaks to make that system more stable.

http://jens.highspeedweb.net/compaq1920

Read the intro carefully, and take notes when you modify something in your config. If possible, make a backup before you start tweaking.

Enjoy - maybe it will help you on ME as well.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jens,
    kind of unstable is an understatement [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    I've used Windows since version 1.0 and ME is by far the most unstable version to date. It came preinstalled on my new PC and I've had many lockups and crashes (some with nothing but normal background processes running).

As soon as my computer funds build back up, I'm going with W2K......well, maybe it will be XP before I get that much money [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I'm discovering that ME is crap ... even from the start I've had freezes a lot....and now my system takes like 5 minutes to start and even somtimes a minute to list the contents of a folder in My Computer. Somthing seems very wrong right now. I've had my comp for 5 months!

I read some things at this page here (go down to the WinME part);

http://www.emulators.com/secrets.htm

and it said the _restore folder can be a prob. I checked mine and it's 2 gigs of crap being saved for some supposedly helpful "restore to an older more stable environment" philosophy.

I'm beginning to start feeling cynical about Microsoft and think this OS was just a way to get some users to want to upgrade to win2000 or win XP later. Well I can't afford either right now so I'm stuck

At this page at the futureshop, it has the upgrade as $299 Canadian ... man that's a chunk of change ... sigh [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

David K

W2k has its own set of flaws.
    The problem with ME coud be also in nonfatal error handling. Some Windows, like 98 or 95 in north america has set the handling to ignore nonfatal errors - like for example underflow or overflow.
    Strange as it seems other versions (like some paneuropean 95) had set this to throw error - app. crashes.
    Generally it is almost always the software which generates these errors (like log(0), overflow etc..) not OS, but it makes very difficult to spot the problem in developing if it crashes only in Japan for example.

I have W2k and it is very stable os almost never,never crashes. But when the os really crashes this is often to death. Once I simply took out CD, W2k crashed and was never able to repair itself. Only Format c:\ and all the circus with fresh install again.

Personally I would suggest to downgrade to W98 SE, if you are not ready to cope with W2000 administartion.