Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Captured

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

I received an e-mail today that at first made me feel flattered, but now perplexed.

The person has a site called Class Room Links She told me she was thrilled to have found the Illustrated Childrens Poems area of my website and she has created links to it from her site plus a link to my start art page under Art Digital. The problem is my pages are all within her frames so they look like they were created in her site.

Should I insist that she put the links targets to "top"? That would keep her visitors still at her site after they have visited my pages and they would realize that the links are on my site?

I have never had anything like this happen before. My site is just a personal thing, and it is nice that more people will find it as long as they know it is my art and site not hers.

What is the code for "break out of frames here"? I really don't want to go back and put that on each page but will if necessary even though a lot of people won't bother to do it.

Any suggestions or opinions welcomed

Judi

My webpage

[This message was edited by Judi A on October 01, 2001 at 20:00.]
    IP

I received an e-mail today that at first made me feel flattered, but now perplexed.

The person has a site called Class Room Links She told me she was thrilled to have found the Illustrated Childrens Poems area of my website and she has created links to it from her site plus a link to my start art page under Art Digital. The problem is my pages are all within her frames so they look like they were created in her site.

Should I insist that she put the links targets to "top"? That would keep her visitors still at her site after they have visited my pages and they would realize that the links are on my site?

I have never had anything like this happen before. My site is just a personal thing, and it is nice that more people will find it as long as they know it is my art and site not hers.

What is the code for "break out of frames here"? I really don't want to go back and put that on each page but will if necessary even though a lot of people won't bother to do it.

Any suggestions or opinions welcomed

Judi

My webpage

[This message was edited by Judi A on October 01, 2001 at 20:00.]
    IP

Its getting late here and I'm tired so i do not have the time for a considered reply today, but would like to mention that you have slipped a comma into the URL of 'that other' site just after the www, so clicking on it fails.

Alan
    Alan
    IP

Check out this link: web page It shows you how to use javascript to pop out of someone's frames.

Robert
    IP

Judi, I just checked out the website to which you're refering, and I must admit that the frames give the appearance of your work being part of her collection. I'm not an expert in these things, but I think the average person on the web would not be able to tell that it isn't her work.

I would encourage you to take some steps, either with your own site or through communication with the offender, that would clarify the origin of your digital art -- which is very impressive, I might add.

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.
    IP

I have had a quick look at the site and I must admit that it all looks like a single site. I would suggest that you request that it be placed in a links page and opens it's own window. Links are always great but you must ensure that the visitor knows they are opening another site.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Hey Judi: You could try something light first, like asking her to make it clear from her link page that she is linking to your site ("special thanks to Judi A for her fantastic ....... to go to her home page, click here"). That way, you at least get recognized for your work, and you may actually get a little more traffic.

Might also want to change your own copyright text on the bottom of the pages to say something like "copyright 2001-2002 all rights reserved. All material, text, art, references, etc. belong to their creator, Judi A. No copy without..... For more information, please visit our homepage here(link).

In that way, you're recognized, but also covered if someone else inlines your pages without your knowledge.

For future reference, you may want to add the break frame script to your pages to reduce this type of behavior.

Javascript.com should have a reference to the break frames script. If you still can't find it, let me know and I'll ask our Webmaster for the script.

Cheers,
    T
    IP

Wow good link Robert the script works automatically with no user input.

I went back and added a warning as to the use of the works on each page plus a copyright notice. (18 pages ugh) I have at least that many more graphics to add the script and the notices to, but at least I got the ones she is using.

Thanks again,
    Judi
    IP