Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biblin-esque

Your technique Paul! I have been using this method also for similar effects and it seems the quickest and most versatile. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

There are many ways to do the similar effects in Xara. That's what makes the program so much fun to use. The reasons for choosing one technique over another can be anything from personal choice to very subtle differences in output. In this case I did it the way I showed for 2 reasons.

1. At the size I did the drawing the soft edge technique fell away too sharply for my tastes. It was either a very abrupt fade at the edge or the shape became too lost once softened more.

2. I was interested in layering colors to try and more accurately mimic natural media. A single fractal fill wouldn't give me the depth of tone I was after. The glow technique is additive so I could put it over my built up color. The technique you showed is subtractive.

Again, ones not better than the other. You really need to have as many weapons in your arsenal as possible. I've seen your work and know you consider things like that while working. I thought explaining the thought process that went into my choice of techniques might be of help to one or two people.

and thanks for the kind words on my work.

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>by Paul:
    One problem I personally have with clip-view is that I usually select the wrong object which results in moving the "mask" instead of the whole object. This is especially troublesome when I have a bunch of clip-viewed objects around and overlapping.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get around this problem by marquee selecting each clip-viewed object and its mask, then grouping them. The object and its mask will then move as one item.

Joe, I just love your illustration. I find works of this style very powerful because of the strength of each of the elements in the scene. You've done an appropriately forceful rendering, faithful to the style. I've come back to look at and enjoy it several times now. Great work! I am looking forward to seeing some of the original images you do in this style.

Glen.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.