Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Welcome, Everyone!!

Goals for the forum are:
    <dl>
    <dt>Helping others help themselves</dt>
    <dd>Ultimately, this is your forum and it will take the form that you give it. But to "get the ball rolling" I'm going to begin with focusing on tips meant to help the Painter novice. This plan is certainly not meant to exclude or bore the Painter experts; but this way, hopefully, some of us can move from novice to expert. </dd>

<dt>Having Fun!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] </dt>
    <dd>I've goofed around with Painter and found some ideas that I think are neat. Hopefully they will be a springboard for someone else's explorations and then they will share their explorations.</dd>

<dt>The Future Directions? </dt>
    <dd>I imagine there are different types of visitors to this Painter forum.
    <ul>some people
    <LI> want to learn how to get the program working on their computer
    <LI> want to learn how to use the program.
    <LI> want to learn how to draw and paint.
    <LI> are looking for inspiration for their next art project
    <LI> want to share their cool artwork
    <LI> want to share their cool techniques
    <LI>want to make a wish list of features for Corel to add to the next version
    <LI> want to do all of the above[/list]
    Until I've written a poll, please post some ideas, feelings, or comments here. Tell us (the other visitors and me) what you'd like to get from this forum. (uhh that is, if I write a poll -- don't want to make a promise I can't keep [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )
    </dd>
    </dl>

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on September 03, 2000 at 05:25 AM.]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hi Folks,
    I use Painter to do Art Work in general. Due to the crashing problems I have experienced with version 5.5, 6 and 6.03 I have not been using it as much as I would like. Thanks to information I have gotten from this forum and the Corel news group I think my problems have been solved.
    I belive that this type if info sharing is a valuable asset and should continue.
    I would also like to see work from other Painter users, being new to this forum I don't know if that can be done or is allowed. I would be happy to post some of my work if it would be of any help.
    IP

Vermont, (the state that makes NH. nervous)

Hi Athena.... Finally reged on this new forum, after too long. Been visiting the Painter forum at i-us since it started, and frankly it's always needed a jump start. You seem to have the energy to do just that. (Great reply to Painter6 post by David Hope). Hopefully it will take off and more of the Painter community will join in. I know they are out there, if not they should be as Painter, with all it's problems, is still the best digital art creation prog out there. (Only wish Adobe had bought it out).

Now, just have to figure out these smilies and UBB code [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] By the way, will we be able to post images?, and if so, is there a max size? Pictures worth 1,000 words.

Bruce [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Hello Monastic Bat!

Welcome to the I-US forums! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] More specifically, welcome to the Painter Forum! We're glad to have you.

I-US has a Gallery Forum where visitors are allowed to post their images. There is a file size limit of 300 KB (which seems fair - considering download speeds for those who are viewing the images). In that forum they recommend that you make a new topic for each image. While it's not required that people tell us what programs they used, I think it is cool to know. Take a look at some of the images already there -- you'll see what I mean. It's just more useful to know if you made an image solely in Painter, etc. I would also recommend that you use .jpg or .gif images (but there is also a test forum if you want to practice posting an image there . . . see what works)

If you feel especially generous with your time, and would like to post some images to illustrate some art tips or painter program tips, feel free to start a new topic(s) here in the Painter Forum and have at it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Remember, the concept may seem basic to you cause you've used it for years but for someone just learning . . . it(art) is a foreign language.

Or if you've hit a brick wall on an image and want to fish for some advice, again, start a new topic and dive in.

And so the short answer to your posting in this thread, yes! posting your images would be of immense help.

Thank you,

Athena

(geez if I could only type)
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hello Bruce!

Finally indeed! I'm glad you finally registered!

But I do understand why someone might hesitate. I watched the more adventurous Xarans for a while (all of two days) before I decided to register and join in. (For those who are really new, the Xara Forum was the first to get moved to the InfoPoP, Open Topic site-- they were kind of the guinea pigs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

I did a lot of Lurking in the former Painter Forum before now. I would only materialize if I had a desperate question. I even lurked back when I-US was CorelNet.

I remember in the earlier I-US Painter forum, it used to be so very robust. . .

Thank you for the encouraging comment on my posting. I hope I can maintain that level of helpfulness. Feel free to pick up any slack [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] (man, am I generous or what?) Painter is so different. It can be pretty overwhelming. If you see that I or someone else missed something -- go ahead and tell us -- I know I won't mind.

And as for posting images, Currently there is The Gallery here in the forums -- where we can post images for all to see. The squeamish part of me says "that's so public" But I could also see an argument for the visitor's experience where a "balkanization" of the galleries could be inconvenient (could you imagine having to go to each programs' separate galleries to see all the neat stuff?). As a visitor, it is so much easier to look at a whole list of images to view at once. Besides, posting images in The Gallery gives your image more opportunity to be viewed by more people.

But if this forum takes the direction of teaching each other, then you can't help but use images, now can you? (as you said, those pictures are worth 1000 words [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

We'll see what develops, but for the meantime, post a new topic for each image in The Gallery or here. (max size 300 KB)

I look forward to seeing what shows up!

Athena

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on September 05, 2000 at 09:08 AM.]
    Athena
    IP

xxx

[This message was edited by rosebytes on October 12, 2000 at 04:20 PM.]
    IP

Hello Rosebytes,

Backgrounds and special text effects. OK, we'll see what we can pull together (or should that be pool together [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ? ).

This evening, I'm going to try a posting on my experiments with the gradient pen (since I had already been preparing that).

Together, I'm sure this forum will assemble quite a bit a knowledge.

Athena

And yes, Painter's Image Hose works the best! Other programs may imitate it, but in those programs I haven't been able to duplicate some of the cool effects that Painter's Image Hose has -- at least not as easily. (I'll get more on this later)
    Athena
    IP