Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Rolling over in despair!

I'm now going CRAZY over the task of making some dirt-simple JavaScript rollover buttons! XaraX's "foolproof" NavBar tool is totally incomprehensible to me, and I never ever can make things work right with it. I don't know how many hours I have wasted with it since XaraX was released, but I now refuse to touch it anymore.

ImageReady works in a comprehensible, easy way, but it creates FIVE states - and files to load - when I only need two states, and I think it also makes needlessly slow, complex JavaScript code.

My Big Question: Does anybody have a good tip for a simple, easy, cheap program which can perform the task of writing HTML/JavaScript code for switching one image with another? It really shouldn't be so goddamn hard, should it?

Thanks,

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

IP

Here ya go, Klaus!

Create two images per mouseover - one for the "on" state, one for the "off" state. Save this mouseover (rollover) file - I save it as a "snippet" in Homesite.

Add this inside your <head></head> tags :

There are 2 "on" statements and 2 "off" statements per rollover. Name these whatever you want. I usually code it to wherever the button goes. ie :

<blockquote>
    abouton = new Image ();
    abouton.src = "about-on.gif";

aboutoff = new Image ();
    aboutoff.src = "about-off.gif";
    </blockquote>

Then in your HTML add this :

Note that you have to add a name attribute in your image tag that corresponds with whatever name you chose to call your on/off states. The image is, of course, the off state.

Please note that this forum adds an underscore in the mouseover statement - it shouldn't have one!

If you have any problems or require any other help, just give a shout!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

Jen, thank you VERY much for this info - very kind of you! However, I am an artist and not a nerdish programmer, and what I am really looking for is what I wrote in my post: "a simple, easy, cheap program" which can do this. Computers are great at such idiotic, algorithmitic tasks (no offensse intended! :-)) - but we humans should really be spared having to do it. So far, XaraX - our best hope in this battle - has failed miserably at helping out, alas.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

IP

Try this. It’s called the Mighty Mouseover Machine.
    http://builder.com/Programming/Kahn/012898/toolmom.html

Charity Kahn was kind enough to create this little JavaScript tool that actually generates the code you need to make rollovers. All you need to do is prepare the “on” and “off” images, know what directory they are they sit in-relation to the HTML file that is going to call on them and your set.

Here’s a description on how to use it.
    http://builder.com/Programming/Kahn/012898/

I’m not a programmer either. HTML is no prob’ but JavaScript is a little trickier.
    Let us know how this works for you. Also if you need any more help let us know.
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Klaus said: "ImageReady works in a comprehensible, easy way, but it creates FIVE states - and files to load - when I only need two states, and I think it also makes needlessly slow, complex JavaScript code."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use IR when I'm doing mockups in slice'n'dice mode afterwhich I go back in and tidy up I guess I must be a "nerdish programmer" because I like my code lean'n'mean). But I don't get 5 states for rollovers. Maybe you changed your settings?

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

Well, I don't have a program to offer you, but have made some rollovers in XaraX. These were made using XaraX.

http://www.screenthenet.com/

I admit, it took me a few cracks to do it, but once I had it figured out, it was easy.

As a matter of fact, I came back and added the second button later. I don't know programming, I just did it with Xara. So .... I can't help you with offering another program, but if I can help with XaraX, I would be glad to.

Then again, these Susy Sunshine offers may not be what you want to hear right now. In that event, I will bow low, and back out of the room. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP