Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some different views of an in building employee snack store. Initial image is 5,000 x 4,000 tga. -David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bo-tay.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	15160  

Some different views of an in building employee snack store. Initial image is 5,000 x 4,000 tga. -David

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

please don't get me wrong, but to me it looks like a pathology station in a hospital. In addition it appears too cluttered, as if there wasn't a general plan.

OK, this might be the different cultural background and my minimalistic approaches to design, but on the other hand the American word 'convenience' doesn't fit. In my mind convenience should never mean to look like a fridge or pathology room, but an area where you can serve yourself, enjoy the environment, have positive colors and not just ceramic tiles and stainless steel everywhere. Maybe it's a weird law that you have to keep the rooms clean and hygenic, but hell, I would visit this one once and never again, even if I would risk to spill my coffee over my keyboard and get in trouble with the big boss.

Just my 2 cents. Otherwise the rendering is looking good!

I really hope you don't get it wrong - there are too many variables I don't know of. If it's just the client I'd ask him if he would take his wife for dinner to such a place.

Holy moly, it's too late and I'm writing too much living in this plastic age covered with coolness and abandoned service people ;-}

If this will be the future all I can say is 'thank big master that I am already 48'...

All the best and thumbs up,

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

jens,

I had to laugh. No offense taken!

A little background would probably help. Office building (circa 1975) with 2,500 to 3,000 people. Store hours 6:30 AM to 3:00 PM. Nearest restaurant - 1\2 mile away. The space was chosen and allocated ( column and all ) by others.

Main objective - provide employees with coffee and beverages during the day, cold deli sandwiches, snacks and take out catering for small lunch meetings. No seating, no hot food, just bare minimums. Loitering is usually frowned upon in these establishments.

The colors weren't my first choice but they do go with the rest of the building. But the materials are as the code requires ( cleanable and grease resistant ).

The pathology look probably has more to do with my lack of rendering and lighting expertise than the real thing will look.

Thanks for the feedback! -David

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

David - the lego-like people were a nice touch!

That tile pattern does make the place a bit busy. I'm afraid the customer's might get dizzy!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ross

>> David - the lego-like people were a nice touch! <<

They are my best employees! I find them more acceptable to end users than the quasi real models around or the flat people decals. I have 3 or four different guys. AutoCAD extruded models.

>> That tile pattern does make the place a bit busy. I'm afraid the customer's might get dizzy! <<

I'm trying out new wall tile pattern materials. With the rendering package I have, you must make a mask for the base grid ( 4 x 4 ) and a mask for each color. 6 x 6 or 7 x 7 with 4 color squares would probably work better.

-David

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

David - the time-tested approach to tiling is to have a strong base, an optional mid-height horizontal dado line that acts like a horizon, and a strong horizontal top design. It's not that unique approaches are bad but they should live up to the same standards as the time-tested approaches: Firmness, Commodity, and Delight!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I'm just curious: do you have a floor plan of that facility? Just the walls, the support columns in the middle would be great.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Ross,

That's 1 reason I normally stick with the equipment part of a project only. I have very little experince or knowledge of public interior finishes other than production areas. That's pretty simple: White walls with white ceilings on red floors <g>

jens,

Atttached dxf and dwg floor plan.

The double doors on the right lead to the main lobby. This will be the customers only entrance. The sigle door ( upper left ) will go to the loading dock and not accessible to the public. gif is 1/8" = 1'-0" scale. dxg and dxf are 1"=1"

-David
    Attached Files Attached Files

GIF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bo-wall.gif 
Views:	193 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	16490