Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Star highlights

How do I create star shaped highlights in 6.0.1? I've been trying to do this to put a twinkle in someones eyes. I was told it was a lighting effects filter. I've tried all the filters and can't find anything that does this.

sitronĀ¶
    IP

How do I create star shaped highlights in 6.0.1? I've been trying to do this to put a twinkle in someones eyes. I was told it was a lighting effects filter. I've tried all the filters and can't find anything that does this.

sitronĀ¶
    IP

Click on your Airbrush in the toolbar sitron. Then open the brush palette within the left side of the Option bar - along the top of the work area window.

You should see 3 brushes that look like the image below. These are "trinkle" brushes, and they are within Photoshop's default brush collection.

Change your Foreground colour to white (you can press d then x to do this), then create a New Layer for any extra visual effects such as this; so the original image isn't permanently effected. And then click the brush once very quickly, where you want to apply the effect. Don't hold the mouse button down too long, or the paint will build up too much.

You can turn down the layer's Opacity setting to soften the effect.

PS: in the brush palette, there is also a smaller version of the basic X styled brush seen below.

Hope that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IP

Thanks, these are the shapes I want, but can I change the sizes? Applying more pressure increases the size a little, but like you said, it looks gloppy. The image I'm trying to use it on the largest trinkle brush just looks like a speck of dust.=

sitronĀ¶
    IP

hahahaa did i say tRinkle brushes???! hahaha that's not right!... i meant tWinkle brushes - as in "twinkle twinkle little star...". haha sorry about that.

The only brushes that are scaleable are the simple shape ones - circles, ovals, etc... any other type of brush you see in your palette is created from an image. And image brushes are not scaleable i'm afraid. The best thing for you to do here is to create your own twinkle brush, at the size you need, and save it to your palette.

Do you know how to create a custom brush?
    If not, you can read this short tutorial i've done that explains about it: http://gurus.onlinedesignschool.com/...rushTips.shtml

TIP: Resizing a Smaller Image Brush...
    If you're familiar with using Paths, you can apply the smaller twinkle brush you like to it's own layer, then select it (Ctrl-click the layer) and convert that selection to a Path. After that, you can scale that path to your needed size, and fill the Path (create a new layer for this). Then you can either save it as a new brush, or better yet, if you're using PS6 save it as a new vector shape.
    Do you understand what i mean here?
    IP