Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Here's another softball for you guys to hit over the fence...Simple question: If I am given the screen display (e.g., 96dpi), and screen resolution (e.g., 1024 x 768), can't I predict exactly how large an image will appear on my monitor? If an image file is given as 600pix wide, why doesn't it display on screen as 6.25in wide, and not the 7in which is what I'm seeing? Every time I try to predict how large an image will display, it's always actually a little larger on screen. (?) Thanks for your time with such a basic item!

turtleman2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's another softball for you guys to hit over the fence...Simple question: If I am given the screen display (e.g., 96dpi), and screen resolution (e.g., 1024 x 768), can't I predict exactly how large an image will appear on my monitor? If an image file is given as 600pix wide, why doesn't it display on screen as 6.25in wide, and not the 7in which is what I'm seeing? Every time I try to predict how large an image will display, it's always actually a little larger on screen. (?) Thanks for your time with such a basic item!

turtleman2

If you put a ruler up to the display and measure an inch you will see a certain number of dots depending on the dot pitch rating of the monitor.

When a unit of measure such as dots per inch is specified in a document and printed at an equal resolution, the measurements will be as specified.

In general if you are viewing a 600 dpi X 1 inch square on your monitor at 100% it will use 600 pixels squared of screen to display , zoom in 200% and it will use 1200 pixels, etc....

For a brief explanation of the Dot Pitch rating of a monitor: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question401.htm

I hope that helps.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

[This message was edited by Mike Bailey on July 02, 2003 at 01:54.]