Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Faking it

In the same way that a jazz musucian "comps" (accompanies) or improvises, synthetic images generation can move in various directions to create an image that the viewer readily underrstands and suspends disbelief. Here's an image of a 1950's architecture drive-thru...for our European friends, americans used to live in their cars a half century ago, and the drive-thru, misspelling and all, was where you used to go for a meal before McDonald's infected the world. However, try as I might, the 3D image did not look plausible. So I 'faked it"...I added a watercolor filter and a slight emboss in Photoshop (using the Texture Channel in the Lighting Effects filter) to make the image plausible as art when reality wasn't going to happen.

Just a thought,

Gare

Self-maintaining in Perpetuity,
    Visit the GaryWorld Gallery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	embossed_watercolor_diner.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	13586  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

In the same way that a jazz musucian "comps" (accompanies) or improvises, synthetic images generation can move in various directions to create an image that the viewer readily underrstands and suspends disbelief. Here's an image of a 1950's architecture drive-thru...for our European friends, americans used to live in their cars a half century ago, and the drive-thru, misspelling and all, was where you used to go for a meal before McDonald's infected the world. However, try as I might, the 3D image did not look plausible. So I 'faked it"...I added a watercolor filter and a slight emboss in Photoshop (using the Texture Channel in the Lighting Effects filter) to make the image plausible as art when reality wasn't going to happen.

Just a thought,

Gare

Self-maintaining in Perpetuity,
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Hey, good memories here Gary, though I wasn't there till the sixties [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Just one thing though... where's the gals on rollerskates.... and the hot rods? haha oh those were the days... we used to go to A&W up here in Canada right after school to view all the muscle cars... of course the winters were all about hockey [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The image itself looks as if it were painted with sand...

Hi Erik---

I do not deserve credit for the "technique" in the image. Photoshop's Gallery Effects Filters did 99% of the work. I just clicked... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My Best,
    Self-maintaining in Perpetuity
    Gary
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

got it...

I really like the image, Gary, and the effects make it look like it could be a book cover. Very nice. My only question: Is the place closed? Where are the warm lights in the windows? Come to think of it, those flourescents are never very warm, but you know what I mean... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Brett

1.)The neon man is coming last week. (time is screwed up coz it's a 50s diner).
    2.)I ran out of fluorescent pixels.
    3.)The place is closed.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com