Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Wow!

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Just came across the site of this illustrator/artist.

I'll repeat myself: "Wow!"

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Just came across the site of this illustrator/artist.

I'll repeat myself: "Wow!"

Regards, Ross

Yup, Ross...that guy knows his polygons. You also read his credits? He uses Maya animator on an SGI workstation!

His style is very reminiscent of Vargas
    http://www.sfae.com/artists/vargas/index.html
    ...the 1950's master of the pinup girls in Esquire. Not to take anything away from Steven's brilliant work.

Also check out his school:
    http://www.optidigit.com/stevens/florence/index.html

There IS hope for the rest of us! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My Best,

Gare

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Did you ever consider creating your own "School"? I'm thinking wouldn't it be a blast to create a studio with say 15 to 20 students all working together in a flurry of creative exploration under the guidance of someone like yourself? The students could pay tuition (big bucks of course) per term and stay as many terms as they find value. Some might be beginners & others quite advanced...

I know there are small 'fine art' schools run something like that. There are architectural studios like that too - they cater mostly to international students who take a break from their regular university to spend a term in a different learning environment. That school in Florance sounds like it might be that kind of place.

Might be more fun than writing a book.

Regards, Ross

Hi, Ross--

If you were sincere, which by my cynical nature I doubt [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] then I am flattered!

I did not know that I have a style of my own, although I have indeed memorized everything I learnt in school that got me both degrees...and BTW, both degrees in art and commercial design got me precisely squat when I ventured into the Real World of advertising back 200 years ago.

However, writing does not pay the bills--I do it because I like communication and feel I have something to offer...if a school did this so I'd have more $$$ in my pocket after school taxes (!) and fed and state, I'd open my ivy-encrusted doors tomorrow!

Um, perhaps interestingly, John Sellers, one of three fiundamental influences that permanently twisted my art talents in college, died this spring...prematurely, IEO (in everone's opinion). I really loved this guy, the dean of the school. And the school has gone to seed since he got ill. And it's a local college--and I was thinking after I returned home this summer, more than ever feeling like putting something back into the system under which we live...whether I'm determined, stupid, and talented enough to try to single-handedly revive a school at a University.

Thanks,
    Gare

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on November 02, 2002 at 10:23.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	art_is_gud.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	8284  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

I was being serious. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I like the idea but realize it is one that would really have to be your dream to take such a project on.

I don't think its about having a well-known style as much as having experience and knowledge that can be shared. I don't think it is about granting degrees or certificates either. Its about helping a 'student' develop their skills. We all know a person can develop world class skills sitting in a dark corner of their bedroom. On the otherhand developing one's skills can be accelerated by being in a shared studio environment where experiences and ideas are communicated directly and efficiently.

Just as some people go to weekend workshops to better learn watercolours, timber framing, airbrush skills, or horse jumping (the horses do the jumping [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) so might people sign up for studio learning with someone like you. Two to three month sessions would likely interest serious students. Some might stick with it for a year or more if they continued to value the developments in their skills. The potential 'catchment' for students is really global and not just the locals. (Near my office is a small language school focused on business-level language --- people come from all over the world to learn English --- they must hear about the place over the internet or something).

Anyways it is just an idea. This one won't hurt anyone. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

your edits to your ealier posting.

Trying to get involved in your old school sounds like an excellent idea.

I don't really believe your art school & commercial design education were worthless. You won't even think about your old school & its instructors if it were.

Regards, Ross

Yeah, Stahlberg is legendary. I mean really, he's just about one of the best modellers of human anatomy around. His animations are incredible, he just seems to capture what most 3D lacks. The image on the front page isn't really typical of his work, dig through the galleries and you'll see that the Vargas influence isn't really prevalent in most of his work.

He's a frequenter in the CGTalk forums. He tends to post an incredible image, which receives 5 or 6 pages of replies full of questions. He rarely answers any of them, and you don't hear from him again until he posts another amazing image or animation.

Brett