Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polar Grid Tool

Yes, Grafixman, I am using the normal CDR modifiers instead of scripts but when making the borders using the same method I couldnt cut the excess corners to give it a sharp edge.
    IP

MegaThunder.

I'm not sure about attachments here, but you can upload a file to the addy below. Just email it to yourself and paste the link to it here.

I always like a challenge, so will happily take a look.

Sark

http://www.yousendit.com
    IP

Yes, it would be a good challenge to try to do something similar using only the native tools in Draw. As for being unable to cut a corner out of your objects, did you make sure that the triangle you're using to trim the object(s) is closed? Or maybe you have an interactive envelope or some other effect applied to one or more objects you're trimming? Hard to tell without the file or at least a screenshot of it...
    IP

Ok, gents, lets hope that I have done it correctly.

Security Stamp

This will be my first try at it!!
    IP

I can't open the file because I'm still on CD11... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif. Hope Sark or Sallybode can help you with this one. It should be a pretty straightforward thing to trim a 45 degree corner on an object to be able to join them together at a 90 degree angle.
    IP

Sorry Grafixman, my fault, I should asked for version compatibility, anyhow here is in version 11.

Security Stamp v11
    IP

Megathunder, your files on pages one and two are very impressive. The star in the middle is really cool. I think you should solve your problem with making something like the sides of a do-it-yourself picture frame from a frame store.

When you have a dilema and don't know what to do, you actually don't need to cut anything. First, copy what you have made (in case you need it), next create an object that has the mitre you desire and place it inside a PowerClip. If in doubt as to how to do this, you must move the object you are going to mask with, underneath what you are clipping, letting it stick out enough to see. In the Effects menu, choose "PowerClip". Your cursor will change to a large arrow, click on the edge of the shape you created to do the clipping. The problem-artwork should now reside inside of the PowerClip. If it needs to be edited, you can edit by right clicking and move, recolor, shape--anything. Finish with right clicking to end the editing. If your goal is to create a frame such as used in a certificate, you may wish to make two PowerClips which mirror each other (using the Transform Docker) To ensure that the corners are mitred correctly, the Transform Docker allows you to rotate lines, etc. at any angle. Easy to rotate a box at 45 degrees and use that to trim your object you will make into the PowerClip, (of course for a frame the ends will mitre in -45 degrees) that way you will be accurate. Since opposite sides of a rectangle are the same size but will have opposite mitres, that is why I suggested to use the Transform Docker. It is very intuitive. Use the mirror and duplicate command. PowerClips allow DRAW to do what is ordinarily not possible. It is non-damaging to anything which it holds and will free up a whole lot of memory. In fact if you have a huge drawing that will be used as a component of another but DRAW is freezing up because of too much memory usage, put this drawing inside a PowerClip and you will have no more memory problems. If the PowerClip you create needs editing of its shape, use the shape editor cursor, no problem. Whenever I create a Powerclip, even when I use perfect shapes, I convert to curves so I have more editing options. You also can make clear power clips, ones with no fill for special editing circumstances. I like to have an outline on my PowerClips when they are being made, but often remove the line when I am satisfied with it, so the clipping becomes invisible. There is a fabulous tutorial on PowerClips called"Shaping". The link you want is the last one under CorelDRAW Effects. I recommend to take all of these tutorials, they are a lot of fun and have great information. There is a player it requires but the download is FREE. And FREE is good.

Once you see what PowerClips can do, you will be able to solve many problems where regular trimming or welding or simplfy does not offer a good answer. You can PowerClip anything you can import or create in DRAW. The tutorial shows how to cut the PowerClip but 12.0 has a knife tool that replaces what 9.0 was using which was a line to cut. Other than that, all the information works the same in 12.0.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Ungroup your borders and break apart the combined shapes down to their individual components, group the horizontal border into one group and the vertical border into another. Then you can use the trim function.
    The same file with trimmed borders, plus some shapes I came up without using the script.

Trimmed borders
    IP

MegaThunder, Hi.

Couldn't log on yesterday, kept getting timed out. This seems to happen a lot with me on the TG forum http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Grafixman has basically answered your question, but as I had already typed a reply which is a little more explicit i'll post anyway.

Your own borders suffered from several problems. Firstly, both the vertical and horizontal borders were grouped together, making it impossible to trim just one at a time. Next, I discovered each border was grouped, not a problem except for the fact there was a blend within this group. This needed to be broken apart (via the Arrange menu) and the end objects regrouped to the broken apart blend objects.

Basically, as long as you have one group, or one combined set of objects to trim, it can pretty much consist of any number of separate sub groups, even combined objects and groups mixed. It’s certain effects you need to beware of. Blends and Contours are just two that are invalid (the rosette suffered from the same blend issue).

Finally, to create a triangle with a 45-degree side, just drag a constrained rectangle (a square), convert it to a curve and delete a corner node. When you have aligned this to one border and trimmed, you can click each Mirror button to align perfectly to the next border without having to move it with the pick tool. Just make sure it is big enough to enclose all the trimmed area.

Sark

http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...31CMK5II3IB97N
    IP

You are welcome to see how I Powerclipped the file. It is all there, untrimmed inside the Powerclip. If you want to extract or edit the clip, right click for those options.Power Clip Trimming
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP