Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xara rollovers

Just been playing and using Xara to create a bunch of rollover buttons. Despite the 'help' files, and with a bit of trial and error (more of the latter) we got there.

Nice set of buttons with an appealing mouseover alternative. Looking good. Then I uploaded them onto some remote web space, but...

It appears the mouseover image (gif) is being downloaded from the server *everytime* the mouse moves over the respective button. Not noticed when everything was local, this is not surprisingly creating annoying delays as you move the mouse over the set of buttons. In fact if you move the mouse too fast, no mouseover images ever appear. You have to hover for a perceptable time over the button before its alternative image appears.

Further proof. I went offline, and as soon as I moved the mouse over a button, then browser immediately tried to log back on.

So whats going on? I have not made any changes to my browser settings, and most other aspects of all sites seem to continue to work as they used to do.

Is it the Xara way of creating the java, or what?

Any help or comments appreciated. I thought I was doing so well, and this is a bit of a setback.

Alan
    Alan

Just been playing and using Xara to create a bunch of rollover buttons. Despite the 'help' files, and with a bit of trial and error (more of the latter) we got there.

Nice set of buttons with an appealing mouseover alternative. Looking good. Then I uploaded them onto some remote web space, but...

It appears the mouseover image (gif) is being downloaded from the server *everytime* the mouse moves over the respective button. Not noticed when everything was local, this is not surprisingly creating annoying delays as you move the mouse over the set of buttons. In fact if you move the mouse too fast, no mouseover images ever appear. You have to hover for a perceptable time over the button before its alternative image appears.

Further proof. I went offline, and as soon as I moved the mouse over a button, then browser immediately tried to log back on.

So whats going on? I have not made any changes to my browser settings, and most other aspects of all sites seem to continue to work as they used to do.

Is it the Xara way of creating the java, or what?

Any help or comments appreciated. I thought I was doing so well, and this is a bit of a setback.

Alan
    Alan

For you to go and see in action, I have posted a very simple example (the original Xara created test file) at:

An example

Feel free to go examine, this demonstrates the problem well.

Alan
    Alan

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Alan I have IE 5, and everything worked smoothly on your test. I didn't notice and apparent delay in the color change of the buttons when I put the mouse over them.

Judi

is because the button shapes are a bit large, it might be taking a split second longer for the button images to load?

Worked fine in my browser, IE 5.5

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

Funny that you posted the question - because I got the same problem, just now, with my own buttons.

I tried your test and I can see that all buttons and code are downloaded every time you click on one. I can see that 11 items are downloaded each time a button is pushed.

I have never played around with this kind of stuff so I'm not sure how it is supposed to work--- but I would have assumed that the buttons would be cached - no?

Help! someone?

Risto

diri@videotron.ca

Funny to me to. I checked your link, and they did not work. I am just working on a customers site, and then I should check something before uploading (the site is www.teambygg.no ), with rollovers. And they did not work either. Then I remember that I earlier today turned off the active scripting in my browser MSIE 5.5 (because of virus warning). When I turned it on again - both sites (your and mine) worked. My bottoms are created in Xara, but scripted in Dreamweaver. Check if mine work, if not - then check if you have turned off active scripting. The rollovers worked on my local machine, even if the scripting was off, but not on the remote server.

Øystein

Both of your rollovers worked flawlessly here.
    Take care,
    -Diezel-

Thanks for your replies so far folks, but ....

Judi its just this sort of problem. Infuriatingly it seems to work for some yet fail for others for inexplicable reasons.

Gary its not that the buttons are large, I am sure they should be chached and not being downloaded when mouseover needs them.

Risto: looks like we're in this one together...

Oystein: I tried the site you suggested and like mine, downloading was taking place each time I passed over the menu buttons; not good.
    I checked active scripting and its enabled.

Rollover appeared to work for me when I was offline and running off my local files, but of course I would not have been able to appreciate files were being loaded or got from cache as both would have been equally fast. Only when working over the modem link does file reloading become long enough to perceive.

So:

For some it works ok
    For some it does not
    Active scripting is enabled
    and I assume we're all running W98 and IE5.5

What next folks?

Methinks I will duplicate this post in our sister forum on web design, since it now looks as though this may be getting a bit away from Xara and closer to basic browser/java/server territory.

Keep thinking though - we've got to nail this one for my sanity..

Alan
    Alan

All aspects of XaraX's NavBar stuff is weird and infuriating and ultimately a waste of time. In the name of your sanity, stay away from it.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")