Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old people

Illustration started earlier this month for a booklet highlighting the effect the closure of post offices in local comunities is having, particularly on the older people who have been depending on the services supplied there for many years now. Not something I had particularly thought about before being asked to provide the picture I must admit. All Xara with a photograph for a background that wasn't a closed post office as I couldn't find one.

Derek old people

Hey Derek, Very nice! It is looking good. the shading on the womans face could use a bit of work. Seems too smooth...

It's smoothed out on the Jpg but there is texture there, I dont want to over emphasise it as its for print and I don't want it to look like to surface of the moon. What stands out for me as needing work is the man's ear which seems to follow you round the room like the eyes in paintings. I didn't realy notice how bad it was until I posted it.

Derek

Okay I looked at it again, His ear does need a little work. I think his pony tail and the whisp of her hair that is sticking out could use a bit of work... Too solid... should be a bit translucent, if not transparent.

Link seems to be broken???

Hmmm... It just worked for me...

Old Folk
    Reworked the hair on both characters and the 'ear', though I'm thinking it would be better to grow the hair and cover it up. I'd spent so much time on his hat, the ear took second place-I wish I'd given it those flaps that drop down and cover the side of your head.
    derek

Great work masque.

One thing though (sorry).

The collar on the gentleman's shirt seems to fold in on itself. The right collar tucks in his jumper, but the left collar seems to fold in, rather than out, before folding outside of the jumper.

Or am I not looking at it right?
    "If your head hurts, it's working. Right?"

Why is the old woman winking and smiling? The post office is closing down and I would assume they'd be sad...
    It's the eye that's bothering me, it's too young an eye for an old woman... and the buckteeth... bad dentures?
    Don't take offense on my comments, though. Just voicing my views. It is obvious that you put a lot of work into this.

Shirt collar corrected. I'm not a great shirt wearer, couldn't see what was wrong with it but I new something bothered me.
    Graphixman:
    Teeth are as they were - old teeth I guess, pre-flouide? or inadequatly cleaned dentures?
    I didn't want her to look miserable, its a post office closure not a bereavement. As for the eye, then maybe older more textured skin is the answer but it is already textured on the xara file, the jpeg is smoothing it a little.