Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Hybrid View

I think that hitting someone in the head to make them see colors is absurd to say the least. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    My question was merely an example of sensing reality verses computer generated fantasy. Paintings, photographs and CG Images are visual stimuli lacking any tangible substance other than the material they are presented with. While I believe that the criminal mind could use such a medium as a deception. I also believe that the average person that has the capacity to operate such a piece of equipment is not so gullible as to be lacking the ability to distinguish reality from fantasy. As for time and space, I would probably be better off not telling you what I think. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I sense from your comments the idea that the "masses" using these "realistic landscape generation programs" might be failing to seperate their creations from reality. Unfortunately, there are no computer graphics programs that have mass appeal. The analogy to painting is a good one. Painters, like computer graphic artists, are certainly in the minority - very few people actually create the realistic landscapes that prompted this thread. I rather doubt any of them confuse what they are doing with reality. Sure some of them must feel like they are "God" as they create but I doubt a single such person thinks they _are_ God.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, but we should define the word 'masses' first. 100.000 people are a mass in my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As has been stated, it is likely the predominate motivator is recreation. Creative processes are at play when you use Vue d'esprit, terragen, mojoworld, bryce, etc. To me that abundance of creative activity needs to be celebrated rather than cause concern. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a certain way - yes. But in reality life for all of us would be much more enjoyable if there would be more 'creativity', because then the envy and jaelousy would be abandoned!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The "masses", unfortunately, tend to seek their recreation in passive activities that involve little creative thought. I'm thinking of television watching. It has been said that the popularity of mass-media television is the non-demanding escapism it provides. It provides a highly accessible escape to other "realities". Watching it our imaginations can be transported to other places, times, universes, etc. Whilst imagination is sparked, creative thought processes are put on hold: So much so that many people don't know the thrill of being creative. I believe creativity is intrensic to all people but that it must be exercised and honed. Without nurturing and exercising - creativity withers. In our culture the wonderful creativity of childhood thinking, more and more, gives way to relatively dull adult thought processes. That scares me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. But it's the topmost goal of governments and industries to keep the citizens dumb, because as long as they are dumb they don't question a tax system (Marx and Engels).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It would excite me if there really was a mass-market computer program that encouraged creativity. Someone needs to create such a 'killer application' that can rekindle creativity in the "masses".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've hit the point - doesn't Microsoft use this method - promoting their software to unleash the creativity of gazillion people? **We** know it's bullshit, but actually millions are blinded by the words because they can't think.

1% of mankind does think
    2% of manking can think if they want to
    5% of mankind think they can think
    the rest is dumb.

I don't remember the science project that revealed these data, but it's somewhere in my archives.

Aren't these data worth to be celebrated as well?

I am not sure at this point either, because a dumb mass is like a singularity: you never know which direction they will head to in the next second. So currently it's the best to feed them with daily soaps - then we **KNOW** where they are: in front of their TV set ;-}

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

as well, which could be done with such program's abilities. It's up to us to use them wisely...it is Pandora's Box, and now that it's opened we must make the most of it in positive ways.

I agree with jens in that none of this can, or should, ever replace nature...but realize, too, that people will continue to want more technology and nothing will stop that---there are so many tangible benefits that we want (I'm thinking in regards to health improvements as an example), there's no turning back. We live now at a cross-roads---we have the benefits of both nature and technology to enjoy... I hope that people will decide, in the long run, to appreciate nature and help to keep it all from vanishing under a tangle of concrete and human activity.
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain