Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sorry Mike apologies from me,I thought you used the word dumb for some reason [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

About the color and head hitting.I was hit on the head repeatedly years ago and now I see colors a lot more brightly,I dont know if it is any brighter then you guys,but to me they have a different richness to them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ,which is like a bonus really [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

thought/ideas!!! Stu, it would be great to see that lady's artwork---amazing, but it goes to show, as you've pointed out, that we all have enormous potential. It is sad when circumstances affect people negetively....

This brings to mind something I am trying to help with right now---someone trying to learn to use techniques in a program for art...and this person being told not to expect to get results like someone else because they themselves won't even try it-----projecting this attitude of "if I think I can't do it, you shouldn't expect to either..." That really bothers me!!! I don't go for anyone telling someone they can't achieve something!!!!!!! I don't see how that could be of any help!!! Anyway, I'm offering to give all the help I can and I know from personal experience that anyone can do a portrait or any other type of image when given some help using the tools and a bit of direction/answering their questions with examples, etc...instead of just someone going on about how someone else can do it and "man, don't bother to think you will any time soon." If I can figure out how to do it, anyone can, especially with some questions answered.
    My rant for the moment---sorry, but I know that I could help this person get the hang of it in a very short span of time. I've helped people learn to paint who had never tried it before and they thought they'd never be able to.......

I understand Stu's, and all of your points...and it's interesting to have something just crop up in the middle of all these thoughts which fits into the discussion of creativity and how to encourage it. Don't tell people they can't do it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] That's the first thing. Give encouragement and help with the questions, have patience.

Yes, the bumblebee---sorry to say it was deemed aerodynamically unsound---guess we'll have to scrap it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Nature has answers to questions we've never even thought of...I think we have abilities untapped (as that blind artist example vividly shows).

Terrific ideas everyone!!! I really appreciate your sharing them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Have a great day!!!
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

"Imagine if you were blind from birth, what would a color look like? Describe a color to a blind person, or a sound to someone who's been deaf from birth. Is it real? ..."

What you said made me recall hearing about this ritual a certain group of people has (had?) somewhere in the world (ok , so I don't remember details much ... hehe). They kept a certain person ( who was destined to become perhaps a shamen type figure in the group later on and may have been singled out and picked by the previous shamen) inside a cave or similar structure ( probably with ample lighting ) and took care of his needs. Attendants would describe the outdoors but this person would never see the outdoors until (I think) about their 13th year or so. Then with (no doubt) great ceremony, he would be lead into the natural world for the first time in his life. I can imagine the force of how that must have struck someone like this. I guess the whole purpose of this situation was to give this person an insight into reality which the others wouldn't have.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

now we have page THREE ! That's great my friends, I really appreciate it that you finally wake up ;-}

Please keep it going. Contribute. Turn the topic into another direction - do SOMETHING.

This is my little wish for this week, because I have to collect my stuff for a trip to Spain next week, so I won't have that much time this week. And the devil knows if my Internet connection in Spain will be up and running <sigh>. At least - **IF** it's up and running - it's a lot cheaper there.

Hey, just experienced another sad development today while trying to call some companies in the US (yup, I know, it's memorial day, a public holiday, but some companies still work as usual!):
    All I could reach was answering machines, robot menus, lousy music track while being on hold to be connect, just to discover that I ended up with another robot - the 'voice box' of the person I wanted to contact.

That's rude. Cruel. Another nightmare. It's getting worse every day.

And another goodie: some 'Global Players' display a phone number on their home pages (in many cases really hard to find). Guess what kind of number it is - yes, a 1-800 or 1-888 or 1-877 or any other toll free number. It's hilarious for a wanna-be-global player to post a toll free number, because it's impossible to reach these numbers from outside the US.

The people who decided this bullshit can't have brains, really. It scares me that every day someone is losing his/her job to be substituted by a robot (=computer). Question: if this process will speed up, who in this world will have an income to spend on products?

<sigh>

jens

and please don't panic: this phenomenon is much more common in Germany, but until today I had the impression that America would be a 'better' place ;-} because of my past experience.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

the automated answering machines can be very annoying---especially if you need some answers/help right away and just cannot get through to anyone to really talk to...on a holiday especially, here anyway, I'm not surprised service was nonexistent. It's not a helpful situation---even worse here are telemarketers who use autodialers to call you up and then try to bombard you with their sales pitch...well, you can advise them they must not call you back, still there are always others.

That is a good question too---are we losing more jobs to automation/computers, etc...than we are creating with it??? I don't have any statistics on that...maybe someone else here can shed some light on it??

But have a good trip/adventures, jens!!!

David---That is very interesting about the new perspective of reality the person would have if kept away from "the world" for so long...wow, it must be mind-blowing the impact it would have---I'd love to hear what they would say about it.
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

I have this thing I do to Telemarketers, If by chance they get me on the line as soon as the reading of the script begins I will interrupt them and ask to speak with a supervisor, when the supervisor gets on the line I get the name of the telemarketing company and the supervisors full name, I instruct them to put me on their No-call list confirm they have my name and number, then I tell them never to call me again. By law in the U.S. they have to stop calling. I figure since I was interrupted by them at least I get the satisfaction of interrupting the supervisors nap or whatever else it was that person was doing when they called me.

It will thin out the nuisance calls after some time, heck you can sue em if it continues but your going to have to build a case by logging and recording the conversation

Thanks for the advice, Mike!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I will do it next time!!!
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya (the "red pill" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )
    -Mark Twain

I remember seeing Seinfeld one night and a tele marketer rang Jerry,anyway he had this brilliant retort to the marketer,but I cant remember it well enough to not screw up the delivery [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

The thing that annoys me the most about telelmarketers is that somewhere along the line someone has sold your number and details to someone else so that the new person can ring you and annoy you....hows that for ironic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

David that experience would be very powerful for the initiate in psychological terms as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stu.

Maya generally when someone tells someone else that they wont get the results they want in an un helpful manner it is because the that person is scared they will [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If you want to know why people say certain things employ reverser engineering if you will,for instance what is the pay off from that comment that was made,ie fear as in above the new person to the app was going to out perform the older user,which is probably an esteem issue for the older user ?

Stu.

I hadn't thought of that...hmmmm! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Fear is often masked in odd ways I guess...fear of losing something?...But I hope that is not the case. On a brighter note, though, I think the encouragement is going to overcome the negativity and things will now be ok (you know I know how to step in "It" sometimes! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )...that's ok, though it washes off [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    P.S. I've seen Seinfeld--and I'm sure I've seen the very episode you're mentioning---but my feeble brain can't now recall his great retort to the telemarketer!!! Arghhhhhh! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    -Mark Twain