Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

In Jens' thread Food For Your Brain, Stu mentioned seeing a blind woman on TV who painted realism. I believe it is likely that this is the site of that artist. Not to lessen the impressiveness of her skill, I should mention she lost her sight rather than being born blind. I find it hard to imagine how she can acurately see in her mind's eye what she has already painted so well that she can continue to add detail etc.

Amazing. Shows we have within us amazing capabilities normally untapped (unless you think she is a freak of nature).

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

In Jens' thread Food For Your Brain, Stu mentioned seeing a blind woman on TV who painted realism. I believe it is likely that this is the site of that artist. Not to lessen the impressiveness of her skill, I should mention she lost her sight rather than being born blind. I find it hard to imagine how she can acurately see in her mind's eye what she has already painted so well that she can continue to add detail etc.

Amazing. Shows we have within us amazing capabilities normally untapped (unless you think she is a freak of nature).

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Thanks so much, Ross, for finding this!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] It is just so inspirational and shows what is possible---that is so hard to imagine---painting without eyesight---using an inner vision we don't suspect could exist at such a level. AWESOME!!! I hope everyone takes a look at this topic. I think it is illuminating!

I knew a blind piano repairman who did beautiful work in restoring pianos as well as tuning them. He rarely even used a cane when walking around town---and he walked with such confidence...such things I really find inspiration from.

This is wonderful, I hope other forums' participants check this out too.

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Thanks for finding Lisa's website, Ross. It is truely amazing how some people can accomplish what many of us would consider impossible.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I can't even paint like that with my two healty eyes. I give up. I think gardening is a better hobby for me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Wow, what a site to ponder on... the mind attemps to envision just how this person goes about the many things involved with creating these wonderful worx...I imagine a setup whereby there are color trays setinto a board, with brail indicating colors, shades....indexed mix system of some sort to refill the shade trays...rules that fit to the edges of the canvas to better gauge sizes and relative positioning...

Of course this is but my own imagination on how things would be with the studio setup, perhaps this is completely off track with what truly is in place...

Sure something to ponder on...

My God, that is inspirational. How she does this is beyond belief. I'm curious "how blind" she is. They say she cannot print, I suppose that is well blind enough to prevent her from seeing what she is painting, yet her work is detailed and accurate. Amazing. She truly has a gift.

Maya,
    I am very curious about this piano repairman you refer to. I grew up in the Cleveland, Ohio area and in elementary school, we had a man that would tune and maintain the school's two or three pianos. I spoke to him on a few occasions, and he seemed very friendly and kind. Once, I saw him entering the school and feeling his way along the walls as he walked. I didn't want to ask, but I did ask the art teacher. She informed me that he was blind, and they had never had a finer piano tuner than this man (she was quite old). Could this man be one and the same with the man you mention? Not sure what he'd be doing in Oregon, but I'm also not sure you grew up there. Very interesting, I wonder how many blind piano repairmen/tuners there are out there?

Brett

The man's name is William Benjamin---at the time---oh wow, now over 23 years ago, he was working in Eureka, California. I was living in Smith River, California, then, and my boyfriend (now husband) met him and they were friends. It was amazing what he did!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Thanks Ross [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I thought I would have some details wrong [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Brett dont take this the wrong way bud .. you say I am curious how blind she is?,see how we have been conditioned over the years with you cant do this or that because,its so ingrained in us that we question everything.The guy who lost his legs never lost the goal to climb his mountain,even though no doubt there were naysayers along the way
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It makes me wonder if someone who can already paint and draw could learn to do so with their eyes closed? I suppose it would involve precise navigation,which I think the human cerebellum could handle,and it would volve linking the navigation to exceptional memory skills,maybe some colors have different textures then others which could be picked up through heightened senses through the bristles [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stu.

Stu,
    No, I don't take it the wrong way. The reason I ask "how blind she is" is that I knew a young man who had severe diabetes, and lost most of his sight. He was legally "blind", yet could see things if they were extremely close to his eyes. Sort of a "tunnel vision" as he described it to me. So I wasn't trying to be insensitive, just curious.

Maya,
    Must be a different man then. It's an amazing coincidence, though!

Brett