Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I also do not understand the <div> statements you are making, as there are no divs shown at all in the html that menumaker gives

<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="BLACK">
    <script src="xaramenu.js"></script><script Webstyle4 src="wib.js"></script>
    </body>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by XTC:
    I also do not understand the <div> statements you are making, as there are no divs shown at all in the html that menumaker gives

<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="BLACK">
    <script src="xaramenu.js"></script><script Webstyle4 src="wib.js"></script>
    </body> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true; but I wanted to position the menu on the page using CSS positioning. So I had something like:
    <div id="mainheader">
    Tulligweather header in here
    </div>
    <div class="topmenu">
    Script statements in here.
    </div>
    <div id="toptext">
    rest of the page in here
    </div>

Removing the topmenu div to the the script statements fall into the mainheader area fixed the problem. The topmenu css is defined as:

.topmenu {
    position: absolute;
    top: 115px;
    left: 5px;
    text-align: center;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    height: 80px;
    width: 800px;
    background-color: #BCBCBC;
    z-index: 100;
    }

Maybe it was something to do with topmenu being defined as a class and not as an ID, or maybe something to do with the height.

The sub and sub-submenus are Css drop downs. Maybe the Css you where using was 1 or 2 pixels goofy. So the script recieved a mouseoff before it recieved the mouseover making it go bye-bye.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Rayner:
    The sub and sub-submenus are Css drop downs. Maybe the Css you where using was 1 or 2 pixels goofy. So the script recieved a mouseoff before it recieved the mouseover making it go bye-bye. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi John, yes I'm sure it's something like that, particularly as there seems to be a couple of pixels gap between the menu bar and the sub-menu when it drops down. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

David

If you figure out the answer be sure to post it here so others do not have to loose as much hair as you had to...

Well I did get it fixed; but I still don't understand why it wasn't working. This is probably my ignorance of CSS positioning techniques.

What I was using in my site was 4 absolutely positioned divs; The page header, the menu, the mainbody and the footer. When the menu had it's own positioned div it didn't work properly.

I then combined the top 3 positioned elements into one, so the heander, menu & main body all became one. Then the menu worked OK.

So I guess the moral of the story is; don;t put a horizontal menu in an absolutely positioned div or it may not work correctly.

Thanks for everyones suggestions on this.

David

David,

I think MM uses a relative positioned CSS. When you had it nested inside it's own CSS it got confused and made it look like poo-poo.

Originally posted by John Rayner:
    David,

I think MM uses a relative positioned CSS. When you had it nested inside it's own CSS it got confused and made it look like poo-poo.
    Well I'm not sure it looked quite that bad, actually it looked fine. It just didn't work in the Mozilla browsers

Sorry It was more than 24 hours ago. I must have forgotten the symtoms. Then the mozilla browsers made it look like poo-poo.

Which is better opera or firefox?

J.R. Jackson
    JR Jackson
    Last edited by Soquili; 12 January 2008 at 03:07 PM.