Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gaussian

Xara 3D is not meant to be a 3D drawing application. It is a low cost application for creating animated 3D type and symbols.

But this is not to say that if you are creative you cannot get around that.

There was an extrememly creative thread last year in which many Xara and Xara 3D users really pushed the envelope for just what can be done in this modest application. I created a tutorial

June 2000 Xara Tutorial that demonstrates some of the things coming out of that thread.

So yes, on the surface Xara 3D is just a type animation application, but think outside the box a bit and you can do some pretty awesome things.

Gary
    My dos centavos Nuevo Mexicanos

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary W. Priester:
    Xara 3D is not meant to be a 3D drawing application. It is a low cost application for creating animated 3D type and symbols.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Low cost?

Ulead Cool 3D $44.95
    Xara 3D $49.00
    Serif Draw3D $59.99

Xara 3D is not meant to be a 3D drawing application? I have a hard time with the word "meant". Because a program misses some functionality, we are allowed to say “not meant to be”. Hey, that’s the solution for everything. Next time when I compare my Cinema 4D with Maya I just say “was not meant to be”.
    Gary, that Ulead was so smart to include a "path editor" doesn't make it a 3D drawing application; it’s not all that simple.

I looked at some Xara 3D galleries and also read the article, but I’m still not impressed with the program.

Cool 3D however…;

http://www.cool3d.co.il/gallery1.phtml
    http://www.cool3d.co.il/gallery2.phtml
    http://www.cool3d.co.il/gallery3.phtml
    http://www.cool3d.co.il/gallery4.phtml
    http://www.cool3d.co.il/gallery5.phtml

I just wonder why a user should pay 5$ extra for a program that can't even create a few simple objects.

Just my 2 cents

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I looked at some Xara 3D galleries and also read the article, but I’m still not impressed with the program. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So then don't buy it :-)

Can Ulead 3D export Flash SWF in bitmap vector formats, AVI and Animated Cursors? And can Ulead 3D create animated screen savers and save them with an automatic installation utility so you can send them to friends?

I do not intend to get in a debate over this. A lot of time and thought has gone into this product and I know a lot of people who enjoy it. If it is not your cup of tea, swell, no one is forcing you to buy it. OK?

On the Ulead site I see a lot of cool 3D images. I don't see any 3D type or animations. So unless I am missing something, these appear to be two very different applications.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Yes, Cool 3D has animation [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] avi [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] swf [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

No screensaver output, because the program wasn't meant to be a screensaver designer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

BTW, I use Cinema 4D [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Next time Gary, don't feel so attacked; it's just a program [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

In fact, you can buy X3D5 on CD - not just a download - for $39, including free shipping everywhere (unless you really need a box and a manual, then it's $49). And at that price it is certainly a great, great bargain - especially considering that XaraX's little brother Webster is included! For beginners and amateurs, there is no better graphics bundle available anywhere on Earth - and even we seasoned pros can delight in these two.

But don't be too hard on our poor Gary, Gaussian - he wasn't ***meant*** to be a Man. ;-)

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Please everyone, remember that we must not upset Gary. You should be agreeing with everything he says and everything that he thinks, for his is the sole voice of reason and what he says, goes.

If Gary says Xara3D is wonderful, then it is wonderful. Live with it - - - Gary kinows everything, and you don't.

Now you see this message, soon you will not. Aything which can upset the World Of Gary is deleted and censored out of existence, for His is a kingdom which should never be undermined.

Gary for King.

that every work of any artist is a self-portrait. That is, in some way every expression that comes out of a person -- be it art, music, words, or actions -- is primarily a picture of that person, not of anything or anyone else.

Martha Cadet, as a new member here the picture you have painted of yourself is not very attractive. It suggests that you are envious of people who have gained the respect of others through their hard work, and that you have difficulty coping with negative feelings and thoughts in a private and appropriate way.

Am I wrong? If so, I'd love to see you prove so.

Glen.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who dont.

or is it Brenda, or Thomas S? Or is my favorite Marine groupie, Fontman? Having a bit of an identity crisis these days are we?

I am glad that you agree with me, though. Knowing this gives me a warm fuzzy feeling all over.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Gaussian... Sorry but Cool 3D just doesn't cut it yet. I tried it when it was at ver 1. Then again at ver 2. and now with the latest version 3.5 they still don't get it.

The interface has never been and still is not intuative. Its still difficult to have complete control over creativity so IHMO all you do with this is click and get what IT wants to give you.... NOT what you really want.

It's not helpful to recommend this to anyone other than to your enemies or to thoes who don't have any creativity what so ever and never will with this package. My guess is that 1% will take the time to learn and even have the patience it takes to understand it. The rest will pitch it aside once the novilty wears off and wonder why they bought it in the first place.

You try to suggest its good software and then don't even use it yourself. What are we to think about that? What is your point in all of this?

Xara 3D suffers from non of the above! This is really no contest with regards to useability, intuativeness, creativity and fun!

I'll take another look at Cool 3D some day into the future, perhaps when it reaches ver 14. Maybe by then the author/s will buy a copy of Xara 3D himself and learn what user friendly software is all about.

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

I suppose that this would be a good time to remind all that every app is only as good as those who use such...

... also that thinking outside of the box is common place when using most any app...

for instance... the letter I can become a steel "I" beam, or with another font selection can become a rectangle primitive... bla bla... leading all the way towards the inclusion of the methods shown through the link provided by Gary...

hey, if it worx for ya then great... if something else worx for ya then also cool...

bottomline folks... it's the worx, and those who create em that truly count... the app is but the tool used... then again, I suppose the apps are worx as well, of a different sort, created by very talented people... way to go to the programmers of all the fine apps to be found...

peace, and oh yes... happy creating all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]