Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back again...

OH USA - Home to Cedar Point (Roller Coster King)

I don't know if anyone's been looking for me, but I've been going through tech support h*ll the past few months. Not going into too many details, other than the cause was the last thing I suspected... my brand new Microtek scanner! Short story is that current drivers for their Scanmaker 4800 are NOT XP compatible no matter what they say. As long as I leave the scanner unplugged when restarting, or turning on/off, I don't have any trouble.

As it is a USB scanner, plugging it in to use once the systems up and running isn't a problem. Pain in the you-know-where to have to do it all the time. But, I do finally have a system that's running well, and is stable. First time I can say that since March!

Still have to get Micrtek to fix problem, but at least I can live & work again. Gesh!

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>
    Irene M. Kraus a.k.a. The Computer Lady!

Graphic & Web Page Design <A HREF="http://www.design-comp.com
    " TARGET=_blank>www.design-comp.com</a>
    </A>
    </p>
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet

I don't know if anyone's been looking for me, but I've been going through tech support h*ll the past few months. Not going into too many details, other than the cause was the last thing I suspected... my brand new Microtek scanner! Short story is that current drivers for their Scanmaker 4800 are NOT XP compatible no matter what they say. As long as I leave the scanner unplugged when restarting, or turning on/off, I don't have any trouble.

As it is a USB scanner, plugging it in to use once the systems up and running isn't a problem. Pain in the you-know-where to have to do it all the time. But, I do finally have a system that's running well, and is stable. First time I can say that since March!

Still have to get Micrtek to fix problem, but at least I can live & work again. Gesh!

Graphic & Web Page Design <A HREF="http://www.design-comp.com
    " TARGET=_blank>www.design-comp.com</a>
    </A>
    </p>
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet

Sorry to hear of your scanner hell problems. Welcome back and I hope you get it all cleared up soon.

Maybe you should just take a loss on the scanner and go out and get another one. I know *I* have considered getting a new scanner and have backed off of it because I am just too picky about that sort of stuff and know that XP (which I recently upgraded to as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]) has it's problems with drivers. There is a SP1 for XP that is being released within the next month and I think it's got lots of fixes for compatibility issues and I think it's loaded with many new *signed* drivers for lots of hardware. So just hold on to your nerves a bit longer. All will be well, I hope!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Here is a URL to a site that has information on the upcoming Service Pack:

Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) Preview. Hope that helps ya a bit!!

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Sheesh! What a bummer.

Glad to have you back.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I had the same problem with my scanner when I tried to update to Win 2000 Pro. I couldn't get the "Win 2000 compatible" driver that Acer provided to work on Win 2000.

Upgrading is hell when you get the "right" drivers or upgrades and they won't work. I upgraded four of my programs to the "Win 2000 compatible" versions, and 2 of them still didn't work with Win 2000 after the upgrade.

I finally went back to using Win 98SE. I wasted an entire week messing with the upgrade, plus all the money I put into upgrading programs.

Hope you come up with a solution. I can relate to driver problems, and I had the same unplug-and-plug-into-USB problem with my printer and cable modem. What a pain!

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

I have an Agfa scanner whose driver works only in Windows 98 or ME. The driver that is supposedly designed for Win 2000 doesn't work, and Agfa hasn't even bothered to make a driver for XP. So I have done two things: 1) partitioned my hard drive so that I am running Win XP in one partition with all my main programs, and Win ME in the other with only scanner-related software on it (OCR, Word Processor, NeatImage); 2) decided never to buy anything from Agfa ever again.

Perhaps some activist might like to publish a list of companies that haven't the integrity to support the products for which their customers have paid them well. A boycott would be entirely in order here. As soon as it becomes feasible, I fully intend to boycott Microsoft. I am already using "OpenOffice.org", which is the total equal of Microsoft Office, opens and saves documents in MS Office format, and is freeware for all operating systems. And I am keeping an eye on the development of "Lindows"

Glen.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

That's too bad, one of the best scanners I have ever owned!!! I don't know which scanner model you have?? but I own a SnapScan1212u and it utilizes the ScanWise 2.0 software and it works just fine with XP and Win2000. It was RC release before they decided not to make scanning products for the "common joe" any more, due to the .dot com crash that sent so many into oblivion, instead they are focused, once again, on what they do best, film and photo products!!! But even so, the software is just fine, no glitches that I can see. It's not fancy in the least but does the job!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If your scanner will work under the ScanWise drivers then you are in business!! Go check it out, OR maybe not, I was going to link you to the support site but it's out of commision. If you have a snapscan then the drivers should work for you! If you want I can zip it up and send it to you, let me know, my address is in my profile. OK?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

for your very kind offer. Unfortunately my scanner is a 1212P (shares the parallel port with the printer, can't use a USB port) and cannot use the 1212U drivers. The computer I had when I bought the scanner did not have any USB ports. The 1212P is an excellent scanner, and the ScanWise software is also very user-friendly and functional, but only on Windows 98 or ME. So to Agfa and their total lack of support for their non-corporate customers I send an enthusiastic and heartfelt raspberry.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts. You're one of the people who make this forum such a great place to hang out.

Glen.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

and I checked it out for you.....the beta drivers work with Win2000 but may not work with WinXP. So I'm not sure if those drivers are the same ones that you currently have: Here is the link in case you wanted to check it out!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I've been waiting for that SP1 for XP for months! Hope it will fix more of these things, but I'm much happier now than I was just a month ago. Can finally say things really are better now than they were under Win98Se. (What I was using prior.)

BTW, hooked my old scanner up to my kid's computer which is running Win98Se still. Don't know how much longer it is going to work for, but at least that has always been available in a pinch.

[] My mother is a travel agent for guilt trips.

Graphic & Web Page Design www.design-comp.com
    President/Newsletter Editor/Webmaster - CEBUG www.cebug.org
    aka The Computer Lady!