Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: I'm back!

But barely. A week ago my harddrive crashed. All my stuff lost, EVERYTHING. And no, I didn't have any backups ;-( All my drawings all my.. everything. But I try not to think about it, this piece of machinery aint gonna make me sad... eh.

Anyway, my arm is quite ok now (if you remember), but I still have to take some small breaks quite often.

A minute before the crash I sent this picture to a friend whose birthday I forgot. She said it didn't have to look so frightened =)

Happy happying,
    Gustav

But barely. A week ago my harddrive crashed. All my stuff lost, EVERYTHING. And no, I didn't have any backups ;-( All my drawings all my.. everything. But I try not to think about it, this piece of machinery aint gonna make me sad... eh.

Anyway, my arm is quite ok now (if you remember), but I still have to take some small breaks quite often.

A minute before the crash I sent this picture to a friend whose birthday I forgot. She said it didn't have to look so frightened =)

Happy happying,
    Gustav

Hi Gustav,

I'm sorry to hear about your HD failure! After having experiencing several I finally got a second HD in the same machine and it has saved me much grief. Hard Drives are cheap, fast and provide lots of space.

It takes very little time or effort to back up too!

The main disadvantage is not storing backup files off site. In the case of a fire (or a tree crashing threw the roof and crushing the computer) I would loose both HD's, both less likely that a hard drive failure I'm betting!

There are web site that will allow you to store files on their severs free but it is less convenient and works best with a High Speed connection.

Bob C.

Bet thats very similar to how you looked when you realised your HD had gone belly up!
    Great image.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sorry to hear about your hard drive Gustav.

It is one fast way to clean out your old files :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

Buy yourself a tape drive or something similar. I use an HP Colorado (parallel port) and its quick and reliable. Shame it won't work with Windows 2000 - I'll have to buy something new in a few months.

And then use three tapes - the newest goes offsite, and the others return - then you are protected from fire etc, and have 3 weeks to discover you shouldn't have deleted that file!

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

For all the advice! Im really thinking about backing things up, but this is the first time it has heppened to me, ever. So with simple mathematics I calculate the next crash to around May 2011. I think I could afford a tape drive by then =)

belly up,
    Gustav

ps. By the way, since I reinstalled Windows98 my modem disconnect every 5-10 minutes or so, anyone know what to do? Im sure theres some settings I've forgotten, somewhere.

Hi Gustav, sad to hear what happened, but you seem to be the stronger one. Good, very good.

Me too I have a second HDD installed and I make regularly backups to it, and also to CDR's. I don't like CDRW as it never works ok on my system, but at the price of CDR's nowadays, and the possibility of adding info to it in sessions, you go a long way.

I also heard that they now sell external HDD's with a USB connection. Not good for speed, but good for lots of free space, AND you can take it with you like a zip.

Good luck
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

By the way: do you mean a 56K modem, or ISDN, or,...?
    Problem is I have a Flemish WIN 98SE.

If the browser disconnects when you are not active, then you can change that in the connections tab in Internet properties (the fourth tab). Highlight your connection in the window and choose "settings". At the right of your username and password, you'll see: "advanced". Click on this, and you can set the time after which your modem disconnects.

Hope this helps.

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on May 06, 2001 at 11:51 AM.]

Good image Gustav, its the flower in the field over the road from me suddenly seeing a monitor flying towards it.. (crash similar to yours I felt like throwing more than the mouse or keyboard - but its an ADI 17" so I stopped myself in time)

As Gary says its an effective (tho hell of a way) to clear out old files/speed up the computer..

I now everyday use a CDRW drive to keep regular backups; the burners and especially the disks are cheap and the writing software is simple to use. Drag/drop in explorer. Like a 700meg floppy disk, and faster.

My crash was caused by an email which Norton choked on, so I guess the patient was killed by the doctor. Threw Norton out the window too.. (might get charged with littering) Now use a free AV utility I found off the net.
    For me computers are all disposable and of no real value.. it's the data that I treasure. This is why I'm not a mac devotee.. I hate the thought of a computer with personality ugh..

Q.