Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Klaus...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I see in the "where you live" thread that Klaus is just back from Bermuda. This Bermuda themed image is therefore dedicated to him - I hope he'll tell us about his trip.

In the late 80's I lived and worked in Bermuda for 2.5 years. The image below was a design I did for a pool just before leaving. I don't know if it was built by the clients. I just added the colour tonight. (Tip: The trick to adding colour to a sketch is the stained glass transparency setting. It keeps the black lines black - and that is a good thing).

The pavilion features a traditional "buttery" roof. Such roofs are made of masonry blocks. The traditional blocks would have been Bermuda stone, which is a sandy limestone, but today concrete blocks are common. Notice the waterfalls. The lowest pool was shaped like a grand piano. The perimeter steps of the pavilion extended down into the pool. The next water level up was a shallow reflecting pool with a more organic shape. Most of that pool was edged so the landscaping came very close to the water. From the pavilion you could walk across stepping stones in the shallow pool over to a whirlpool tub. The tub was tucked into a grotto like recess in a cliff I was going to have cut from the bedrock. The tub would receive water from water falling from above the grotto. (The pool water being circulated by pumps). The tub's overflow was also a waterfall - that one into the shallow reflecting pool. The pavillion provided a shady place to sit and watch the kids playing in the pool. The cliff gave privacy from the neighbors.

With all this talk you can see I'm more interested in the design than the drawing. In my work I use drawings to communicate ideas. I don't often draw with the drawing itself as the purpose.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bermuda.jpg 
Views:	744 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	9008  

I see in the "where you live" thread that Klaus is just back from Bermuda. This Bermuda themed image is therefore dedicated to him - I hope he'll tell us about his trip.

In the late 80's I lived and worked in Bermuda for 2.5 years. The image below was a design I did for a pool just before leaving. I don't know if it was built by the clients. I just added the colour tonight. (Tip: The trick to adding colour to a sketch is the stained glass transparency setting. It keeps the black lines black - and that is a good thing).

The pavilion features a traditional "buttery" roof. Such roofs are made of masonry blocks. The traditional blocks would have been Bermuda stone, which is a sandy limestone, but today concrete blocks are common. Notice the waterfalls. The lowest pool was shaped like a grand piano. The perimeter steps of the pavilion extended down into the pool. The next water level up was a shallow reflecting pool with a more organic shape. Most of that pool was edged so the landscaping came very close to the water. From the pavilion you could walk across stepping stones in the shallow pool over to a whirlpool tub. The tub was tucked into a grotto like recess in a cliff I was going to have cut from the bedrock. The tub would receive water from water falling from above the grotto. (The pool water being circulated by pumps). The tub's overflow was also a waterfall - that one into the shallow reflecting pool. The pavillion provided a shady place to sit and watch the kids playing in the pool. The cliff gave privacy from the neighbors.

With all this talk you can see I'm more interested in the design than the drawing. In my work I use drawings to communicate ideas. I don't often draw with the drawing itself as the purpose.

Regards, Ross

I thought it was kinds of quiet :-)

Great sketch, Ross. Interesting roof as well.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...

That was the big fat-cat client! (He was actually a nice fellow).

Whilst Klaus may have enjoyed a few Dark-n-Stormies by a pool, I think it would be more interesting to hear about his experiences with the scooters!

Regards, Ross

Thanks, Ross, for dedicating that great drawing to me! :-) My Bermuda trip was great, though I spent all my time on socializing and lecturing (on digital painting and regular painting), and none on the regular tourist things. I saw all the scooters, though! But now I wonder: that "big fat-cat client" of yours - was his initials by any chance M.T.???

Very Kuriously,

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Klaus - How does one go about getting a lecturing gig in Bermuda (or anywhere else)? Sounds like fun.

My fat-cat wasn't whoever you are thinking about.

Next time you are in Bermuda be sure to rent a scooter. They are a blast and the best way to see the Island.

Regards, Ross

Great drawing Ross. Seems you dont need a i-tex texture generator.. those textures behind the ppol have a life all their own!
    Only thing I know about Bermuda is geometric.. (triangles) but I'm mesmerised by falling water having recently spent a good deal of time creating a waterfall/pond complex. I seem to commune better with fish these days (a worry)

I have a question of architecturial import- viz. waterfalls.. <u>the recycled water</u>. How is this kept clean, sans algae etc without injuring the fish..

Also.. your comments about the bermuda stone interest me, as theres a house in my road here I call the Castle as its made from hinuera stone. Very pale, naples yellow. Beautiful. But then I love naples yellow and ultramarine (its a disease). So. Next waterfall pond complex should be constructed in hinuera stone... hmmm...

<font size="1">"BACK TO.."
    "I know I know.."</font>
    Q.

Ross: "How does one go about getting a lecturing gig in Bermuda (or anywhere else)?"

You just have to be a brilliant, fascinating person, one whom people love to hear discourse on anything - like humble MOI.

;-)

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Quintin - Bermuda stone is very soft. It can be cut with a carpenter's saw. Although white to creamy in colour when freshly cut, it oxidizes to grey when exposed to the elements. When it is used for building construction it is almost always parged with a sand/cement plaster and then painted. Traditional Bermuda roofs are made of Bermuda stone tiles layed on slats spanning the rafters. Gravity holds them in place. They are finished with the sand/cement plaster and then painted the traditional white. As the ground water in Bermuda is brackish, virtually every roof there is a rain catchment feeding tanks that are the basement. Many homes have tanks approaching 45,000 gallons!

With regards to fountains, it is easy to stop the algae - use lots of chlorine! Sure that hurts the fish but then most folks don't keep fish in their swimming pools. I have heard of really rich people having robot fish in their chlorinated pools! If you have enough money you could probably get a robot mermaid.

For garden ponds with living creatures, the trick seems to be minimizing sun exposure through plantings and lilly pads. My father-in-law has a beautiful landscape pond with a waterfall on his property in Prince Edward Island. He's made himself a biological filter with a barrel full of lava rock and coconut fiber. The water is circulated by pump through the filter. He also has to resort to chemical treatments (sold in garden centres) for keeping the algae from taking over in August - our sunniest month. All in all his pond looks great and the koi seem to love it. The fish even survive through the winter that gets four feet of snow on the ground at times.

My dream is to build a home with a large interior fish pond with a waterfall. I will use it along with interior planterbeds to treat the greywater. I will have no blackwater (sewage) because it will have a compost toilet. I will build that house someday in Prince Edward Island. I will invite xara forum friend, WheelBrat to come over and share Xara tips too. He is lucky enough to already live on the Island. Someday...

Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on April 18, 2001 at 04:45 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You just have to be a brilliant, fascinating person, one whom people love to hear discourse on anything.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, that sounds like most people around this forum. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross