Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: For Klaus...

Threaded View

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I see in the "where you live" thread that Klaus is just back from Bermuda. This Bermuda themed image is therefore dedicated to him - I hope he'll tell us about his trip.

In the late 80's I lived and worked in Bermuda for 2.5 years. The image below was a design I did for a pool just before leaving. I don't know if it was built by the clients. I just added the colour tonight. (Tip: The trick to adding colour to a sketch is the stained glass transparency setting. It keeps the black lines black - and that is a good thing).

The pavilion features a traditional "buttery" roof. Such roofs are made of masonry blocks. The traditional blocks would have been Bermuda stone, which is a sandy limestone, but today concrete blocks are common. Notice the waterfalls. The lowest pool was shaped like a grand piano. The perimeter steps of the pavilion extended down into the pool. The next water level up was a shallow reflecting pool with a more organic shape. Most of that pool was edged so the landscaping came very close to the water. From the pavilion you could walk across stepping stones in the shallow pool over to a whirlpool tub. The tub was tucked into a grotto like recess in a cliff I was going to have cut from the bedrock. The tub would receive water from water falling from above the grotto. (The pool water being circulated by pumps). The tub's overflow was also a waterfall - that one into the shallow reflecting pool. The pavillion provided a shady place to sit and watch the kids playing in the pool. The cliff gave privacy from the neighbors.

With all this talk you can see I'm more interested in the design than the drawing. In my work I use drawings to communicate ideas. I don't often draw with the drawing itself as the purpose.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bermuda.jpg 
Views:	744 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	9008