Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KPT's Fraxflame

It seems that i'll go from bitmap to vector to bitmap in cycles. Lately I've been staring into this filter. It is capable fo some amazing stuff though. I'll soon be throwing a webpage together devoted to some of these fractals.

Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fraxflame.jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	3358  

It seems that i'll go from bitmap to vector to bitmap in cycles. Lately I've been staring into this filter. It is capable fo some amazing stuff though. I'll soon be throwing a webpage together devoted to some of these fractals.

Wayne

Nice fractals.

I really like the way that its busy but not too busy and yet it still works well.I also like the descending curve.

Good work.

Stu. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

and I'm shure that there is much more to be seen in it in real, and without Jpeg's lossy compression.

In answer to your Bryce work (and as some kind of sweet revenge... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] ) I'd like to present you Ultrafractal, a cheap, but incredible fractal app, together with layers and everything. You may want to download a trial at www.ultrafractal.com. It is one of the tools I wouldn't miss for all the cigars from Cuba (easy, because I don't smoke). You can learn it on one rainy sunday if you have some insight in layers etc. There is also a site with great tutorials and practical explanation. It'll be mentioned on UF's homepage.

Is this a KPT 5 or 6 plug in?

By the way, another plug in that is very cool for images on the web is ProJpeg (www.boxtopsoft.com).
    It gives you more options than any bitmaptool, and the smallest possible files

fraxflame is one of my favourite image filters. but the processing time is very long for high resolution pics. i'm hoping for the next version of the kpt filters to be altivec optimized.

stecyk66

Erik,

The more you post, the more I really see that we have a heck of alot in common. I mean, in terms of what we like in graphics, and what we'd like to use ... but most of all, what we'd like to know about using all of the applications we'd like to have.

I think we sort of jump from one thing to another whenever we get inspired, and yes I can see we both have our own vision, but we'd like our talents and skills to match our visions. Sometimes a tough task with limtied resources.

I don't mean to make assumptions here, mind you ... just casual observation.

BTW... it's from KPT5... thanks for the tip on Projpeg, and finally, to answer the Ultrafractal question, yes, I have it but Fraxplorer is so much easier and funner for me at the moment. I no doubt "will" give Ultrafractal a very good look in the future, as I imagine, creating fractals by formulaic means sounds fascinating.

Regards, Wayne

P.S. Stecyk66 said
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> altivec optimized <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Please elaborate on this. I am also happy to find another fan of Fraxflame. It is truly an addictive filter. Many dinners have gone cold 'cause I just couldn't tear myself away from the damn thing.

[This message was edited by ivca on April 09, 2001 at 09:28 PM.]

Name:	wing.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	15921  

wayne

sorry, i should of clarified. altivec is the special vector processing code that enables data to (like for a filter effect) be split up and processed in parallel streams through the G4 cpu in a mac. fraxflame would be perfect for altivec since it i s so processor intensive. basically it can cut rendering time by 50% or more.

hope corel takes advantage of it in the new releases.

stecyk66

is it kind of the same principle as "gradients on paths", remember that one? Only with this altivec, you can take a vector path(s), and run a flame fractal along it? If so, that would mean almost absolute control over the shape as opposed to mutating over and over. This would be very cool. BTW, any ideas how the next set of filters will look like, re: new types or refurbished old ones?

Wayne

wayne

actually altivec has nothing to do with the image. it is totally a processor capability of the G4. here's a url to explain it better-

http://www.apple.com/powermac/processor.html

as for future features in kpt. have no idea but more than likely both the pc version and the mac version will probably support dual processor rendering.

stecyk66

there is a remarkable resemblance.

One remark: don't think that you have to be a professor in mathematics for UF. You just click and choose a formula, and open your mouth in awe. that's all. It is very amusing and worth some cold dinners to follow Janet Preslar's tuts in sequence. By the time you did them, you're ready to fly like an eagle yourself.
    I also like it for buttons and titles for sites.
    Some examples:

http://users.skynet.be/castalia.art/...itelpencil.jpg http://users.skynet.be/castalia.art/...lguestbook.jpg

Name:	Newachtergr2.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	14844