Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Form mail

Hi Guys can any one help with some info on how to set up form mail, is this asc simple as finding a form mail script and uploading this to your cgi-bin folder and designing a form to access this script any help here most appreciated Dave. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi Guys can any one help with some info on how to set up form mail, is this asc simple as finding a form mail script and uploading this to your cgi-bin folder and designing a form to access this script any help here most appreciated Dave. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    IP

Hey evsy,
    i recently put form mail on my site and i didn't know anything about cgi-bin and perl etc. but it is pretty simple. what i did was get a pre-written script from a place like matts script archive:
    http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/formmail.shtml

it come with all the instructions on how to do it.
    chow
    chuck
    IP

Hey thanks for the advice chuck ill check this site out, regards Evsy.
    IP

Evsy,

Matt's instructions are pretty thorough and when you've set Formmail up once, it'll be a piece of cake. From experience the main flub most first-timers make is either not uploading the cgi as ASCII (as opposed to binary) or not getting your permissions (ie. chmod) correct. All perl scripts should be 755 (RWX-RX-RX).

If you encounter any problems, just let me know. Been there. Done that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

Thank you for the advice Jen but please excuse my ignorance 755 (RWX-RX-RX)? not to sure on this one, Evsy.
    IP

No prob, Evsy, the only way to learn is to ask questions!

Once you've ftp'd your scripts, you should notice that all files have a permission code beside them. (most FTP programs have them) Regular HTML files are usually RW-R-R. This translates into ReadWrite-Read-Read or 644.

What this means:

There are 3 permission areas Owner, Group and Public(also Others/World). Owner being you, Group being a specified group (ie. intranets but for the most part Group is treated like Public), Public being everyone else.

So for .cgi scripts it should be ReadWriteExecute-ReadExecute-ReadExecute or 755.

For a good tutorial on CHMOD go here : http://www.hat-trick-dev.com/knowled...heatsheet.html

Good luck!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

Thankyou Jen for your time and patience this is a great place to learn take care Evsy.
    IP