Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 60kb mindblower

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

they do it just for fun. All of them have 'normal' jobs. Once a year they have a challenge - I remember the deadline for submitting demos is Feb. 15th each year. It's a formal competition.

And no, they don't use ActiveX, DirectX or anything like that. It's not allowed, and besides this it would blow up the demo to at least 1 megabyte in size. So Klaus is wrong.

Same with textures: no textures are allowed. Everything MUST be rendered in real time from the code: sound, graphics, textures, text, fog etc - you name it.

Best of all: you can run all demos on an old 286 PC with a DOS disk to boot it up - no hard disk is required.

The speed of the presentation remains identical on ALL system, be it a 286 or a 2.4 GHz Pentium.

It's nothing we can use. It requires real hard coding, and the teams - usually consisting of 3 to 6 members - need almost a year in their spare time to develop and code a demo.

If the one posted here requires a specific DLL, it will not make it into the demo challenge - it'll be returned to sender ;-}

And the link: I'm still searching a terabyte of storage. I'm still browsing my link lists by the thousands. Give me some time please, I left the scene some time ago - seems it's been decades ago.

ok, just found one of the links:
    http://www.oldskool.org/demos/explai...o_reviews.html

check the 'intros 64k' that's the stuff you will like most. And don't miss the 4k stuff - incredible as well. And if you should be able to get intros from Twilight Zone, let me know where you've discovered it, ok?

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--

[This message was edited by jens g.r. benthien on November 22, 2002 at 11:14.]
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jens: "And no, they don't use ActiveX, DirectX or anything like that. It's not allowed, and besides this it would blow up the demo to at least 1 megabyte in size. So Klaus is wrong."

Then how come that changing the antialising, anisotropic and other controls in the Direct3D settings for my graphic card very clearly affected the look and speed of this animation? If that does not prove this is DirectX/3D based I don't know what will. And I refuse to believe that these guys have programmed a full rendering engine also into those 64Kb of code!!!

K
    www.graphics.com (columnist)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Then how come that changing the antialising, anisotropic and other controls in the Direct3D settings for my graphic card very clearly affected the look and speed of this animation? If that does not prove this is DirectX/3D based I don't know what will. And I refuse to believe that these guys have programmed a full rendering engine also into those 64Kb of code!!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Download some of the 'intros' and start them on an old DOS machine and you will see that you are wrong. Just coding, nothing else, that's the rule. All the demos with more than 64 k are not allowed at the competitions, they are more for the fun of it and don't stick to the rules. Even if you'll be asked what type of audio card you use is a 'no no' for real intros.

And yes, the render engine is built into the code - that's the tough part of it.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

The music's probably a MOD file, but don't take that for granted since i havent been able to run the demo. Computers. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Hey Eric, where's that .WAV applet you've been talking about? I went to the site and can't find it.

Everyone should check out Jens' link to demo software: eeny in size and remarkable!

Oh, BTW, folks, some video cards, like mine, either don't have the configuration to display the visuals, or XP simply doesn't have the required hooks or something. So don't adjust your set if all of these demos on this thread don't work.

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

here goes
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ii went back to the site, and found the product sheet, and clicked on audio. there was how the audio was made (a sequencer,, and logic audio pro) and the wva applet. soryy to bother you folks. carry on. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

In the "small is beautiful" category, do the Windows crowd remember Recorder.exe in Windows 31? Three files=62KB, and it still works in XP. Recorder was, and is, a favorite of mine because it's a graphical batch builder, IOW you record and then playback screen and clicking actions. This is invaluable for making links on Acrobat documents, especially long ones.

Get out them 3½s! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

D:WindowsRECORDER.EXE
    D:WindowsRECORDER.DLL
    D:WindowsRECORDER.HLP

My Best,

Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yeah, thanks Ross that's it. Cool. My daughter loved it. It mentioned in the credits that you can burn the soundtrack to CD as an MP3 or something. I'll have to chack it out. She wants to listen to it on her CD walkman.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh hell ya, I have a Sony discman and i just ripped the music. OMG i can't wait to burn it to a CD-R. too bad i'm out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Hey thank your daughter for me, she has good taste.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

at a download size of 2MB, this resource is a pig [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] but I thought music aficionados would like to get a hold of a free, open source "CD to WAV (or mp3)convertor". It also reads the label and artist and enters it into the resulting files.

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com